This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As children we learn many different things: to count, write our names, learn the alphabet and tie our shoes. Yet, nobody teaches us that there is more to life than coloring, counting and properly writing the date on the top right-hand side of your homework. That is something that we learn with time and experience, and even then, it can take years to understand or maybe even a lifetime.

We are always being told to enjoy the present and what we have in that moment, but what are we supposed to do when we aren’t happy with where we’re at in life? Are we supposed to give up or fight for what it is that we truly want? Many of us will probably decide to give up at some point because we feel that we have nothing to offer or that it’s too late to do anything about it. However, the truth is, as cliché as this might sound, it’s never too late to pursue what we love. Our age, gender, sexual orientation, race and religion shouldn’t be the basis of our success. In fact, they should be what motivates us to pursue our dreams because they’re what set us apart from other people.

Woman sitting at computer drinking coffee
Photo by Bongkarn Thanyakij from Pexels

See as much as we don’t like to admit it, it scares us to be different and yet we want to be different. We desire to stand out and do something that we can be remembered for but at the same time we want to fit in just so we don’t feel like something is wrong with us. When we’re in school, especially high school, grades tend to define us and our future, the people we hang out with allow others to make assumptions about us and our backgrounds seem to give people the right to judge us. Some of us can probably agree that the society we’ve built is all about superficiality and popularity, causing some of us to become people we really aren’t. That’s why we’re willing to set our dreams aside to please others when in reality we are destroying ourselves. So, should we really let other people tell us what to do? Can we rely on a society that outcasts people, to tell us who we should be? I believe not. 

For many years, I was looked down upon by people who meant something to me. Their judgement was so powerful that I began to doubt my self-worth and future success, but I can tell you one thing that I learned: things are going to get hard but hard doesn’t mean impossible. It is up to you to decide whether you’re going to let other people’s opinions define you or not. Only you have the power to change your life. So, go ahead, dress as you like, major in what you are passionate about, chase your dreams, and most importantly: be true to yourself because only one thing is certain, life is too short and when we least expect it things can change. 

So, enjoy it :) !

Hello! Im a third-year, first generation latina student at UC Irvine majoring in Public Health Sciences. I enjoy reading, journaling, visiting new places and vibing to new music. I aspire to become a pediatrician in the future while also being an ASL interpreter <3