The W-Hub: A New Space Dedicated to Women at UCI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The W-Hub (Womxn’s Hub) is a new spaced at UC Irvine dedicated to women. I spoke with director Tamara Austin and she mentioned that UCI used to have a center dedicated to women but was shut down due to “budget cuts”. In an age where women are already disadvantaged in most fields, it is truly heartbreaking to think that a space for women empowerment was the one that had to go. However, thanks the pursuit for change, we are happy to have this as a space on campus once more.

The space is described as “an inclusive space for all women, women identified, and women aligned to come out, hang and participate in workshops and events”. They aim to promote education and empowerment in many different areas in women’s life while at the same time, focusing on professional development, gender equality and activism. They are located on the main floor of the Cross Cultural Center, and they welcome all women to take advantage of the space and help create a community of support for women on campus. 

They have several empowering activities and workshops planned out for the rest of the year. Check out some of the events they are holding weekly—they are fun, relaxing, and provide an ideal platform to meet like-minded individuals.

• Tea Time: 9:00am – 3:00pm on Tuesdays
  • Queer Girl Talk: 3:30pm – 5:00pm on Tuesdays (Coming soon)
  • Creative Coloring: 12:00pm – 3:00pm on Thursdays
  • Women’s Bible Study Hosted by Tiana Lynch: 1:00pm – 2:00pm on Fridays
  • Yoga: 12:00pm – 1:00pm on Fridays

For more information about W-Hub please call (949) 824-8861 or stop by their office. Their hours are 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday through Friday.

Like their Facebook page to stay connected: https://www.facebook.com/whubatuci/

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.