Victoria Phan ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Name:Victoria Phan
Year:Freshman
Major:Political Science
Hometown: Fountain Valley/Westminster

School Involvement: ASUCI Festivals Intern, English Conversation Program Facilitator, Passport to Leadership Workshop Facilitator

Most interesting class/professor you’ve had at UCI: Hands down, Music Japan & Okinawa (Anthro 138J) with Professor Garfias. I’ve always been fascinated with Japan – with how unification, discipline, and the coexistence of tradition and innovation are all found within Japanese culture and history. What was even better was that this class is taught by one of the most charismatic professors I’ve met thus far on campus. My respect for him? Off the charts. Oh, and there was this one instance when it was raining and he came to class with a huge Japanese-style umbrella, similar to the ones you would see geishas carrying around. He looked like a cute little Japanese grandpa (even though he’s Hispanic, haha). He reminds me of my own grandpa!

Favorite Spot on Campus:
My residence hall—Mesa Court Aldea. I was lucky enough to be sorted into this hall, and even luckier to have met the some of the quirkiest, most dependable people on campus. I always look forward to heading back here after my classes end, especially if it was a particularly stressful day. They always find some way to lift up my mood, even if they’re unaware of doing so. Yup, those Aldeans are quite the odd squad, but I think I like them a lot.

Favorite dessert:
Recently I’ve been having an unhealthy obsession with freshly baked cookies from Commons and Asian jelly straws that I like to freeze in my freezer.

Guilty Pleasure:
Reading manga and watching anime and K-pop videos on Youtube. Oh, and eating everything within sight. Don’t judge me.

Top Beauty Must-Have:
Vaseline –the ultimate beauty product. Chapped lips? Irritated and dry skin during those cold, windy days? A boo-boo? Vaseline’s your answer. It always does its job to keep my skin healthy and moisturized.

What are you carrying in your bag right now?

1. Phone. So I can play Scramble with Friends whenever I’m bored during lecture. Just kidding, of course I pay attention in my classes…
  2. Wallet. It’s feeling a little bit light right now.
  3. Pencil pouch with a Japanese floral design that my roommate gave to me.
  4. Piano-designed lanyard with my house, hall, and room keys attached. Along with completely useless charms and keychains– they add character.
  5. On-the-go box of Q-tips.
  6.  A decorative gold chain that used to be a part of my purse. It fell off while I was out one day, and I don’t know why I haven’t taken it out of my bag since then.
  7. iPod. Listening to music while strolling around Aldrich park = AMAZING!
  8. Two bottles of eyedrops: one for contacts and one for without.

Do you have any superstitions or rituals?:
Whenever I have an important event or stressful test coming up, I always ask my Grandma to burn some incense in front of this mini altar we have in our house.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?:
I think you could already infer from my previous answer above … Japan! I know how expensive it is to travel over there, but I am willing to empty out the money in my wallet, my bank account, and my parent’s bank account, just to have the opportunity to visit all the historical sites and local eateries in Japan. Hopefully, I’ll have a chance to do so during my time here at UCI!

Girl Crush:
Natalie Portman. Brains and looks? C’mon!

First thing you notice about a guy:
His smile. Especially if he can eye-smile.

Most confusing guy trend:
Extremely baggy pants. Just, no.

Random Fact About Yourself:
I never noticed it until someone pointed out, but when I write on lined paper, I have a habit of following the top line. Most people—ok, every person—I know write either between the two lines, or on the bottom line.

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.