Valentine’s Day Outfits: Dress to Impress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

All the single ladies!

There are many of us out there who hate Valentine’s Day because it just reminds us how lonely we are. But don’t let being single on the day of love keep you down! For the single ladies out there, Valentine’s Day just calls for a day out with the girls.

On the left is a day outfit. Keep in mind that just because you’re single doesn’t mean you have to be anti-Valentine’s Day and wear black. Whether it’s going out for some V-day lunch, a movie, or even some shopping, incorporate the color pink in your wardrobe. Take the day on with subtle hues of pink. I put together a black cami with a light pink cover up, jeans, a white collar necklace, and some pink pearl earrings as my casual but cute V-day look. It’s perfect for those of you who don’t want to be in obnoxious shades of pink or red.

The great thing about being out with your ladies is that you don’t have to stress about whether you look hot enough, so a messy up-do is perfect for the day. It gets you prepared to splurge on cute new outfits, and stuff your face with desserts. I know it may be hard to walk around with your girlfriends when couples are walking hand in hand but don’t break out your sweats and tennis shoes. Improve your confidence with some cute pumps to match a cute outfit and have all your girlfriends do the same. There’s nothing like a pack of girls in heels to make you feel sexy and empowered on a day that risks making you feel alone.

If your schedule doesn’t allow you to spend the day with your girls, then go out for the night with them! Paint the town red and hit up lounges, bars, clubs, or simply go for a fancy dinner out with excellent food and good conversation. The outfit on the left is a perfect look to hang out with your girls and celebrate the love you all have for each other. I put together a one strap floral dress with black opaque tights, black bootie heels, gold and pink earrings, and a gold clutch. The important thing to pay attention to in this outfit is the use of bold colors. Nighttime is the perfect time to use bold shades of red and pink to celebrate the occasion so don’t be afraid to use a more profound shade of lip color than you normally would. Valentine’s Day is not a day to be safe with your outfit; it’s the day to stand out. I promise you that a sexy little number like this will make you feel 100 times better, and who knows it may even attract the attention of a new guy. You’re not going to be the only single person hitting the town that night!

I Have a Date!

For those of us spending our Valentine’s Day with a special guy, we will all be stressing over what outfit will knock his socks off. On the left is a day outfit idea for your date. Most of us will have busy schedules and will only be able to spend the day with our special guy, so an outfit that is simple and sexy is key. I put together a bright and bold pink blouse, black pants, black Nine West heels, a gold and black collar necklace, and a beige and gold Coach Purse. The important thing to notice in this outfit is the bold colors and the low neckline. We want to stand out and be sexy so don’t be shy in finding a blouse that shows a little cleavage. If you’re going to show a little cleavage then I have four words for you: Victoria Secret push-up bra. Also make sure you wear some heels! Don’t go for flats, sandals, or flat boots, guys love a woman in heels. So whether you are in fancy pants or jeans, a little heel can take a casual look and make it sexy. Dress to impress and make him drool with this simple yet sexy look.

Now if you’re hitting the town with your man at night, you’re going to want to look like a knockout in a great dress. Peplum is very popular this year and also very figure flattering. To the right I put together a soft pink, almost peach colored, tight peplum dress with a floral collar necklace, nude wedges, and a brown and gold London Fog purse. These are very soft color tones but in the candlelight at a fancy dinner, you’ll glow. If you want, you can even put some bold pink or red lipstick to make your lips look extra kissable. When choosing a dress, go with something form fitting. You want to show off your figure and enhance the best features on your body. Peplum is a great option because it shows your curves and also provides tummy control for when you indulge in some Valentine’s Day sweets. This outfit is perfect for a fancy dinner, a stroll around town, or any other surprise he has planned.

So whether it’s a night out with your girls, or a night out with your special man, remember that Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love. That can be love for your friends, love for your guy, love for yourself, and love for life in general. So celebrate it and choose a killer outfit for whoever you are spending it with! Fashion is a great way to express ourselves and a great way to make our self esteem go from dull to fabulous.

Photo Credit: http://www.facebook.com/HildaCentenoPhotography?fref=ts