Travel Study: Floating Isles of Greece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Imagine having class in the breakfast room of a tiny family-run hotel against the backdrop of the Mediterranean Sea. Seems too incredible, right? But that is how I spent my July, studying abraod in Greece. I applied through the UC Davis Travel Study Program and was one of 18 students. The program allowed us to take two English classes while immersed in Greek culture.

One of the many highlights of the program was a day tour on a boat around the island of Ithaka.

Some of my awesome classmates. We took over the rooftop eager to soak in every last second of sun before we headed back to the States.

We jetted off and navigated through the heavily forested island humps of Ithaka.

We shimmied to the flamboyant Greek music, but later settled down in our seats to stare out into the deep blue water of the Ionian Sea. 

We approached our destination, an oasis that is accessible only by boat.

The boat stopped a short distance from the shore. We plunged into the delicious water with nary a care in the world, and giggled as we watched each other jump off the roof of the boat.

It felt like we had stopped for a mere minute before we were told to hop back onto the boat for our next destination.

My classmates and I arrived at a tiny town dotted with white and pastel-colored houses among lush green trees. Here the sky seems so low that the clouds almost touch the hill tops. 

We ate a hearty lunch only a few feet from the shore. The waiters were hospitable as ever, supplying us with endless bread baskets.

We meandered through the cobblestone streets exploring the trinket and jewelry shops.  In no time, the mighty sun dried us off, leaving behind salt on our skin and in our hair.

After half an hour, we boarded the boat ready for our next destination!

Avid reader pursing a career in marketing/public relations and hopes to write a book someday!
...