Transition Your Wardrobe: Summer to Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Even though it is still summer weather here in Irvine, things will inevitably cool down and autumn will be in full swing. However, some of us are just not ready to give up some of our favorite summer staples. Here are four looks you can recreate that are on point for fall fashion, but still incorporate some of our favorite summer pieces.

Look 1: High-Waisted Shorts

High-waisted shorts were probably one of the biggest trends this summer. Since I splurged on this BDG pair from Urban Outfitters, I refuse to trade them in for my skinny jeans just yet. Here I paired them with an olive cropped tank top and my new 3.1 Philip Lim x Target blouse. I used the blouse as a cover-up because it is not cold enough to wear a thicker jacket just yet, and it gives the outfit a fun print. For an accessory, I chose this simple plated necklace. To cover up my legs, I opted for brown tights instead of black to match my dark brown suede booties. In my opinion, booties are the perfect transitional piece for summer to fall.

Look 2: Circle Skirt

Circle skirts are my favorite summer piece because they are flirty while still looking casual. In this look the focal point is the faux-leather circle skirt from Forever 21. To make this outfit more fall appropriate, I paired it with an oversized grey sweater from H&M and a statement chain necklace from Urban Outfitters. To keep with the dark color scheme, I finished the outfit with sheer black stockings and my new favorite Steve Madden booties.

Look 3: Sundress

If there is a clothing item I think of when someone says the word “summer” to me, it would definitely have to be the sundresses. I mean, it has the word sun in it! By layering up any sundress it can become totally appropriate for fall. Here I am wearing a white lace-print sundress with my favorite olive green light parka from Urban Outfitters. Adding earthy tones through the parka, scarf, and head wrap makes this white summery dress instantly more on trend for fall. Since this outfit is too delicate to pair with a dark pair of tights, I paired it with mauve boot socks and my cognac colored Steve Madden boots.

Look 4: Muscle T-Shirt

Tank tops and cut up vintage looking muscle t-shirts have been popular to wear with high-waisted shorts all summer. By pairing them with boyfriend jeans, which are going to be popular this fall, instead of shorts, instantly makes the outfit more fall-ready. Here I have a tiger muscle t-shirt on from Forever 21 and boyfriend jeans from Urban Outfitters. A tip for boyfriend jeans, if you see a jean that you like but it is not boyfriend style, just size-up. Voila, instant boyfriend jeans! With the outfit already looking so masculine, I chose these caged high heels from Nine West to keep the look somewhat feminine.

I hope these outfits inspired you to keep holding onto your favorite summer pieces just a bit longer!

Stacy Ikeda is a 4th year Psychology major at University of California Irvine.Her favorite past times would have to be shopping, taking long strolls along the beach and writing for HerCampus. 
...