Top 5 Timeless Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Throughout the decades, fashion has evolved drastically from elegant and conservative, to sexy and chic. We often find ourselves looking back at old photos and thinking “oh my god, look what I wore! I can’t believe that used to be in style.” Before you throw out your entire closet rejects, take a look at what styles have now come back from the dead. There are many new trends that have evolved from past styles, but these are the top 5 blasts from the pasts that are the most popular trends showing up on celebrities, the red carpet, and the runway this year:

Classic Lace

The making of lace dates back as far as 15th and 16th century. The different material and method of making lace has evolved from handmade linen lace to machine made cotton thread lace. Lace was worn often but began making a significant fashion statement during the Tudor era when women wore lace as embellishments on their sleeves or collars of their dresses. Wearing lace symbolized luxury and elegance, and soon enough the style became a worldwide trend. Although lace has existed for awhile, the most popular time it was used was during the Victorian era. Women in the Victorian era wore dresses covered in lace, along with matching lace hats and gloves as seen on Taylor Swift. Today, lace has reemerged as a popular trend and has taken over runway and the red carpet. Taylor Swift looks endearing and elegant, wearing a white lace dress complimented by a brown belt and brown heels to the Teen Awards in London. Lace is such a versatile fabric that it can easily be dressed up or dressed down. Whether you want to look casual or fancy, the detail in the lace adds just the right amount of sophistication to any article of clothing that will make your outfit stand out from everyone else.

Wild and Fun Animal Print

It seems as though everywhere we look, we see or have an animal print accessory or article of clothing. But when did animal print first start getting popular in the fashion world? Well it was in the 50s and 60s when pin up girls began wearing provocative and wild animal print swimsuits, lingerie, and dresses. Famous pin up girls, like Bettie Page, made leopard print look sexy, and wild and from then on animal print became a popular trend. Today, animal print is still everywhere. Whether it’s on bags, jewelry, shoes, or clothes, it just seems as though animal print is a fashion trend that we will always have an accent of in our closets. Animal print just adds that extra sexy element to any elegant dress, as seen with Dakota Fanning in the photo, or adds a fun element to any casual top or summer swimsuit. So this summer feel free to still rock out that leopard or zebra print bikini!

Curvaceous Peplum

Peplum originated from the 1800s as a way to give women a defining figure. The peplums were more bubble like as large gowns. In the 19th century women used the peplums to emphasize their hips to show that they were healthy enough to bear children. The 1940s, however, is when peplums became an iconic signature look. Women developed a new version of the peplum dresses to make it more classy and feminine to suit their era. Today, peplums have come back as a sexy, hot new trend that enhances your figure. If you feel like your body doesn’t have enough curves, then peplums are perfect choice. Peplums make your hips look bigger, which gives your body an overall voluptuous, or fuller look. Thin and petite women, like model Coco Rocha, can now easily add dimension and finally have that hourglass figure.

Flattering High Waisted Bikini

A new hot and really popular fashion trend that has come back is the high waisted bikini. The high waisted bikini was first worn in the 50s and 60s, where fashion icons such ass Marilyn Monroe flaunted at the beach. This was the classic bikini that inspired the racy, skimpier bikini that we now see today. But don’t say goodbye to the high waisted bikinis just yet, 2012 has now brought them back as the new sexy and flattering way to enjoy the beach. The benefit of wearing a high waisted bikini is the tummy control. The high waisted bottoms hide any minor flaws on your tummy that make you feel good at the beach while still wearing a two piece. So if you aren’t exactly loving your tummy this summer, don’t avoid the pool or the beach, you can still feel sexy and comfortable in a high waisted bikini.

Sexy in Sheer

Sheer clothes seemed to have boomed into a new popular trend that everyone seems to be wearing. However, this new style is simply a version of something we have seen before. Sheer black trends were first seen in the 50s where women would wear dresses with sheer shadow coats over their dresses as embellishments. The time where sheer clothes really became popular was the 90s. In shows like Beverly Hills 90210 and movies like Clueless, sheer tops were seen everywhere. Sheer button up tops would be worn over camisoles as a cute and trendy look. Today, we have our own adaptation of the sheer fashion of the 90s. Sheer blouses are now worn with bandeaus underneath, creating a sexy look that shows some skin, but not too much. This trend adds glamour and sophistication to your outfit, as seen on Odette Yustma.

Although there are many embarrassing fashion fads that we will never dare to look back on, these trends have managed to come back as a new fashion forward trend for 2012. As the summer time approaches, take a trip to the thrift store and check out which hot styles you can find at a bargain price. Or if you are feeling bold, bring back an old trend and make it your own. You never know which trend from the past will show up on the runway next!

Photobucket Direct URL (Photos in specific order):

Photo credit:
etsy.com
mirror.co.uk
ristaafrista.blogspot.com
forum.santabanta.com
runningwithheels.com
stylebyjenna.com
talkprettytome.blogspot.com
weheartvintage.co
m.zimbio.com
celebrityfashion.onsugar.com 

Jessica Enriquez (originally from San Diego) is living the life as a proud Anteater at the University of California, Irvine. This literary journalism major isn't your everyday California girl. Asides from the surf and the sun, Jess can be found enjoying trips to Disneyland, quoting Mean Girls, twittering/tumbling/pinning, napping everywhere, practicing with her dance team, and participating in a variety of affiliations on campus. Jess has found a home to express her online marketing skills and graphic design talents with the Her Campus branch at UCI. This year she will serve as one of the branch's co-correspondents/presidents. Jess dreams of a career in higher education or public relations, but wherever life takes her she'll continue to lead on with heart and passion.