Tips for Luscious Lips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the winter season because that means I finally get to whip out my boots, circle scarves, comfy jackets and snuggle with some hot cocoa and my heater blanket.  But dry Irvine weather also brings about unbearable dry and chapped lips.  I know, hard life right? Here are some tips and products to keep your lips moist and supple for the rest of this winter quarter!

1. Nivea Hydrating Lip Care
My new favorite chapstick literally feels like butter!  Slick it on whenever you feel the littlest dryness and you’ll instantly feel the discomfort of chapped lips disappear.  Interestingly enough, it even tastes good; however I could never (and neither could my friends) distinguish what flavor it is.

2. Burt’s Bee’s Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter and Rejuvenating Lip Balm with Acai Berry
Another one of my favorites is Burt’s Bee’s Mango Butter chapstick and the rejuvenating lip balm with Acai Berry, these are especially good for sensitive lips!  Especially if you are the type whose lips burn from the  regular Burt’s Bees, these are great alternatives.  Also, they smell delicious!

3. C.O. Bigelo Lipshine in Ultra Mentha
This tasty lipgloss will have you going “ahh” after your first coat of minty freshness.  Not only is this lipcare good for shine and moisture, it also adds a hint of fresh mint to your breath.  (whip it out whenever you feel the need to hide that nasty morning coffee breath!)

4. Philosophy Flavored Lip Shine
For the splurgers: Even though the philosophy brand is a little more expensive than most lip glosses, this flavored lip shine is worth a try! (Especially for you girls that like to experiment with different flavors and colors)  My personal favorite is the “bubbly” line, “Celebrate the fine art of kissing!”  This hydrating gloss leaves a tint of reflection for the perfect pout.

5. Philosophy Lip Scrub- Kiss me Tonight intense Lip Therapy
This lip scrub with nurturing shea and mango butter conditions and smooths out roughness, especially for those dry flaky days.  Try a lip scrub once every week to soothe those seriously cracked lips.  This product helps to restore your healthy rosy lips.

6. HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!
H2O is your friend! Most college students do not drink enough water in comparison to the amount that doctors recommend.  (the recommended dosage is 8 cups of water per day and the average person loses 10 cups of water per day!) However, for the average college student who enjoys a drink or two at the pub or at venue parties, we need to replenish our system a little more than the average person. So make sure to keep drinking that water (coffee, tea, and other caffeinated drinks count too!)

7. Don’t Lick your Lips!
Licking your lips will actually aggravate your chapped lips even further- it leaves an unattractive and irritating red line around your mouth -uhhh… yuck!  Having a tendency to lick your lips may temporarily relieve them, but saliva evaporates quickly and leaves your lips feeling even drier than before.  No matter how dry it is, just don’t do it!  Always carry a chapstick with you:  keep one in each purse and bookbag to make sure you never have one of those days where you’ll be forever chapped.  If the outside of your lips feel dry, dap a little bit of your facial moisturizer around that area!

So, HerCampus™ readers, remember to protect your lips from the cold air with a little bit of chapstick protection before you brave the harsh winter of Southern California!

Rebecca grew up in Hercules California (Norcal), but now lives in Orange County (Socal). She is a senior psychology and social behavior major and management minor at the University of California, Irvine. Rebecca is currently the Co-president/Correspondent at UC Irvine Her Campus Branch and served as the branch's  Social Media Director during the 2010-2011 school year. She traveled around the globe this summer to Paris, Munich, Zurich, Milan, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Honolulu after studying abroad in London. It was an AMAZING experience. At UC Irvine she is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta.