The Perfect Romance Novels for The Hopeless Romantics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

One of my personal goals for this year has been to cut down on my screen time. It has been significantly harder with classes being online all of last quarter, but I’ve been doing my best to trade the hours I spend online to hours dedicated to reading. Unfortunately, this means I broke my annual tradition of watching romantic comedies while eating discounted chocolate this past Valentine’s Day. Instead, I spent my holiday reading romance novels (with a small bag of chocolate nearby). While this Valentine’s Day has come and gone, the perfect time to read romance novels has not! 

Whether you’re looking for a new romantic read, or you’re hoping to gift a book for a loved one, this is the perfect romance novel guide for your post-Valentine’s Day plans!

For the STEM Major: The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood

While this book has garnered hype on social media, it is not undeserving. The Love Hypothesis follows Ph.D. candidate, Olive Smith, as she finds herself in a fake relationship with Dr. Adam Carlsen to prove to her best friend that she has moved on from her ex. As Olive spends more time with Adam, her feelings for him grow. But she can’t let him know how she feels until after their arrangement ends. 

The Love Hypothesis is one of the most adorable books I have read recently. To be honest, I wake up every morning and fight the urge to reread it because I think it is such a perfect rom-com. Adam and Olive are the ultimate grumpy/sunshine dynamic, and the academic setting makes it all the better. On top of the cute romantic tropes, this book addresses being a woman in the STEM field and the struggles that come with it. The Love Hypothesis is the perfect read for STEM majors and academic enthusiasts alike, especially for fans of the fake-dating trope. 

For the Enemies-to-Lovers fan: The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

The enemies-to-lovers trope is a classic. There is a reason why this trope is so beloved and popular. If you’re looking for a novel with witty banter, miscommunication, and a gorgeous setting, The Unhoneymooners is right up your alley. Olive and Ethan cannot stand each other, even though Olive’s sister and Ethan’s brother are getting married. At the wedding, due to a buffet-gone-wrong, the newlyweds end up with food poisoning, resulting in Olive and Ethan taking their place on the honeymoon vacation to Hawai’i. As Olive and Ethan spend more time together on their vacation, they begin to question why exactly they bring the worst out in each other. 

The Unhoneymooners is easily the funniest book I have ever read. I laughed out loud several times while reading it, which rarely happens. I would definitely recommend checking out the audiobook, as well through the Libby app!

For the classical reader: Emma by Jane Austen

As much as I enjoy reading modern romances every once in a while, I decide to change up my TBR by reading a classic. While Pride and Prejudice is Austen’s more popular romance, no thanks to the infamous hand flex scene in the film adaptation, I actually prefer Emma. Emma Woodhouse wholeheartedly believes she will not marry. She is very content with spending her time taking care of her father. With a newfound friend, and a chance to play matchmaker again, Emma finds herself in other people’s business—oblivious to her own love story. 

The drama and flair of Emma Woodhouse’s desire to play matchmaker, on top of the childhood-friends-to-lovers romance, make for a whimsical read. And as a post-reading treat, the 2020 adaptation starring Anya Taylor-Joy as Emma is on HBOMax!

For the YA reader: Fresh by Margot Wood

On a similar note, Fresh is a modern retelling of Emma. Fresh tells the story of Elliot as she navigates her freshman year of college. Elliot is trying to figure out what exactly she wants to do, who she is, and where she fits in amongst her new peers. The story is genuinely a rollercoaster; it is full of so many ups and downs. I genuinely loved every second I spent reading this book. It was also really nice to see a YA novel with a college-aged character. Fresh is truly heartwarming, fun, and fresh! 

For the Graphic Novel Enthusiast: Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

I think I have already established how much I love Alice Oseman’s work. Instead of focusing on her novels this time, I want to take a second to appreciate their comic series: Heartstopper. Heartstopper follows two boys named Nick and Charlie. Nick Nelson, the captain of the rugby team, is pretty sure he’s straight…that is until he meets Charlie. Charlie Spring is the only openly gay boy in his grade, and at times it has felt isolating until he meets Nick. The two of them become friends, and maybe something more as they grow closer.

Heartstopper was my introduction to the Osemanverse, and it is still one of my favorite graphic novels to this day. As a fan of the series, I am thrilled about the upcoming Netflix adaptation coming out this spring. The beauty of Heartstopper is how accessible it is too! Not only is the entire series available to read for free on Tumblr and Webtoon.

Regardless of how your Valentine’s Day went, I hope you find comfort within the stories on this list. Books have always been a comfort to me throughout my life, and I hope these stories can bring comfort to you too. After all, you can’t go wrong with a lovely romance novel and a side of discounted chocolate. 

Kat Riggsby

UC Irvine '25

Kat Riggsby (Capricorn) is a second-year English major at the University of California, Irvine. When she's not dancing around her room to the latest Taylor Swift album, she can be found reading tarot, writing, and daydreaming up her next big scheme.