Style

The Happiest & Warmest Blue Color “Very Peri”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Now that it’s spring time, it is time to try a new color! Have you heard of the color “Very Peri”? 

The worldwide color institution Pantone selected Very Peri as the color of 2022, a color that previously had never existed in the world, which has never happened in Pantone’s history. Very Peri is a blend of faithfulness and constancy of blue, with the energy and excitement of red. Pantone described this new color as “the happiest and warmest of all the blue hues and introduces an empowering mix of newness.”

Laurie Pressman, Vice President of the Pantone Color Institute stated, “As society continues to recognize color as a critical form of communication and as a way to express and effect ideas and emotions and engage and connect, the complexity of this new red-violet-infused blue hue highlights the expansive possibilities that lie before us.” Today, digital space is expanding widely to games, art, and the Metaverses.

Following this movement, it can be said that it is an era of change in which physical and digital life are fused in a new way, and Very Peri holds the meaning of accepting these changes with courage and creativity. The complexity of the reddish-purple color is, thus, expressed in our endless future. Interestingly, we can see the possibility of expansion in Very Peri. The color merely looks like purple, violet, or lavender color. However, before we further examine it, let’s change our mindset to a happy and warm one. 

How to try on Very Peri 

Many places have already taken on Very Peri. So, why don’t we get some inspiration from how others have applied Very Peri in their fashion?

Runway Collections 

Very Peri took over Spring/Summer 2022 runways. There are tones of purple-ish dresses on runways, such as those of Valentino, Isabel Marant, and Marques’Almeida. The satin cape blends the unique classy image of the material with the funky Very Peri color. Jogger pants could be a comfy way to style, plus matching sets would make such a cool outfit. Additionally, we can always color denim; it’s not always meant to be solid blue. Giving a drop of red to blue-denim turns it into a lovely Very Peri.

Celebrities 

Zendaya’s simple silk dress can complete her sophisticated style. However, if you feel bored with one colored dress, Cardi B or Anya Taylor-Joy’s way of styling bold jewelry would give you some ideas.

Street

Here’s an easier way to get to Very Peri: looking up fashion influencer’s photos. We can get various tips on fashion styling methods that can be applied daily. Influencers dressed Very Peri as the dominant color, but each individual chose another eye-catching color to finish the daily mix-and-match fashion. First of all, collaborating Very Peri with yellow is a big trend. Depending on items or textile materials, the Very Peri and yellow combination give distinct feelings, varying from casual to feminine. 

Similar colors were seen most recently in the second season of Netflix’s Bridgerton with Simone Ashely.

Makeup, Hair, Nails, Jewelry…Etc

If you feel like wearing Very Peri is too vibrant or strong, here are other suggestions for you. Trying Very Peri on hair and makeup would completely change your mood, which would give you a totally new feeling. Eye shadow is the easiest way to try Very Peri. Why not put a pinch of it on and walk around town? Lipstick is also a good idea to try to see how the color changes your whole makeup aura. 

We can color everything around us, even if it’s a small thing such as a phone case, hair tie, or a small key ring. You can even try it with interior props such as wallpaper or colorful lights. If you haven’t bought a diary for this year yet, choosing a Very Peri diary would also be a meaningful way. Wearing a new color of your underwear can even make you feel sexy!

Before we leave…

Back in 2021, Pantone announced, “illuminating yellow” and “ultimate gray” as the color of the year. Those colors gave us a message of strength that is both enduring and uplifting. Warmth, eternity, stability, resilience, and calmness were thrown into the world as keywords to get each other’s message of hope for us who endured difficult times due to social issues and repercussions. However, the world is now preparing  for a bright future ahead. 

Borrowing Pantone’s statement, blue is soothing, red is changing, and the metallic is mysterious. We don’t want to be silent anymore and settle for boring colors. With the new season, start anew and be bold!

Yelin Han

UC Irvine '23

Hi all! My name is Yelin and I'm studying Art History at UCI. I love arts, fashion, animals, and exploring my food taste. Also, currently into 2000s fashion and musics.