Television’s 2015 Winter Premieres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As the second, and probably slowest, quarter begins here at UCI, it is only right that networks bring back the most anticipated television shows from their midseason breaks to a small screen near you. This way, instead of sitting by computer, bored out of your mind because you have already watched every episode of Friends on Netflix, there is something to look forward to every week to make the quarter go by just a little bit faster.

Photo courtesy of FOX Network

To start off your week, Gotham premiered last Monday on FOX. The show centers around James Gordon (Ben McKenzie) and Harvey Bollock (Donal Logue), two detectives working to find the man who killed Bruce Wayne’s (David Mazouz) parents in the city of Gotham. Originally airing with sixteen episodes, the network ordered six more episodes, bringing it to a full twenty-two episodes. The show airs every Monday at 8/7c.

Photo courtesy of ABC Family 

For all of you ABC Family fans, Pretty Little Liars came back with a bang last Tuesday night followed by the winter premier of Switched at Birth. PLL (short for Pretty Little Liars) is based on the novel by Sara Shepard and is currently on its fifth season. If many fans remember, the show’s mid-season finale ended back in August with a cliff-hanger and a gasp moment. Switched at Birth came back with its fourth season after only a short break, and we get to see the consequences of what Bay has to deal with for taking the fall for Daphne. Pretty Little Liars airs Tuesdays at 8/7c and Switched at Birth at 9/8c on ABC Family.

Photo courtesy of FX

It seems as if the creators of American Horror Story: Freak Show know exactly when students are in school and on break. As the fourth season premiered on October 8, it was around the same time UC students were beginning classes. The mid-season finale was December 17 and it seems like a major coincidence that it fell under the dates of winter break. But after only a two week break, AHS: Freak Show, came back last Wednesday night and it brought along some familiar faces. Neil Patrick Harris, anyone? Get ready for more thrills and chills with these coming episodes every Wednesday at 10/9c on FX.

Photo courtesy of comicbookmovie.com 

For those action and superhero fans (because Pretty Little Liars just does not cut it in the action portion of television), The Flash and Arrow are two shows making a television comeback (separately, of course). The Flash returns Tuesday, January 20 at 8/7c and Arrow returns on Wednesday, January 21 at 8/7c on the CW. It will be an epic two days because who doesn’t love superheroes?

#TGIT: Thank God It’s Thursday. Because of Shondra Rhimes, your Thursday nights just got a little bit better. On January 30, ABC brings back Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder from 8 to 10 pm, a three hour block of Shondra Rhimes-produced shows. If you need a little pick me up by the end of the week, these three shows, filled with suspense and fierce women, will get you pumped up for Friday.

The quarter of premieres does not end there because February calls for one of the most anticipated premieres yet. The Walking Dead comes back Sunday, February 8 at 9/8c and it is every bit of exciting. After that major, heart-wrenching moment during the season finale, it almost seemed cruel to bring back TWD. But who cannot stop watching this show? It’s addicting.

These are not even a quarter of the premieres happening this winter quarter. To find more dates and shows, go to TV Guide and start marking the dates on your calendar. The best part about going to school in the winter is obviously getting to watch your favorite television shows come back. 

Bianca Duarte is a first year, Film & Media Studies major at the University of California, Irvine. She enjoys writing, reading, and anything media related. Her hobbies include attending events and concerts and scrolling aimlessly through her twitter feed.
...