Culture > News

Take a Walk in Our Shoes: OC Women’s March 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

“We are the granddaughters of the witches you weren’t able to burn.” Tish Thawer

As I strolled from the parking structure to the Santa Ana street corner (poster in hand and “Boss Lady” emblazoned across my chest), I was mesmerized by the sounds of chanting and the sea of pink before me. Both women and men of all ages gathered around a small stage, intently listening to the speeches of some of Orange County’s female representatives. As I stood there in the crowd, completely surrounded by fellow marchers, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of unity. Although not everyone was there for the same reason, some were marching for sexual reproductive rights, pro-immigration policy, anti-Trump sentiment, etc., we were all indirectly bonded by the fact that we were not happy with our current political situation and we were there to make a difference.

I scanned my eyes from sign to sign, admiring the creativity of my fellow marchers. While some posters were beautiful painted and others were simply written in marker on scrap cardboard, you could still clearly see the passion that laid beneath every message. The raw pain in others.

“Show me what democracy looks like,” the woman with the microphone commanded us.

“This is what democracy looks like,” we screamed in response.

So, we took to the streets and showed them.

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.