Styling Tuxedo Slippers for Every Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Traditionally, if you were to hear the word “loafers” you would probably imagine those ugly shoes your grandma or Sunday school teacher used to wear. Luckily for us, designers like Steve Madden have been working hard to give this classic shoe a much-needed makeover as well as a swanky new name. Tuxedo slippers, as they are more commonly called today, have been spotted in countless fashion magazines and retail stores ranging from Nordstrom to Target. From glitter, to studs, to leather, to suede- there’s a pair to satisfy every taste and budget! Here are a few simple ways I like to style mine.

1. Running errands/shopping

When you know you’re going to be out and about all day, opt for an outfit that is both comfortable and versatile. This leopard print top paired with dark wash skinny jeans looks effortlessly stylish and is as easy as throwing on your favorite t-shirt. Ditch your old Chucks for these glitzy gold tuxedo slippers to bring out the gold accents in the rest of the look. They are surprisingly comfortable to walk in once you break them in.

1. Night out

I told you these aren’t your grandma’s shoes! Who knew loafers could look so edgy? A skull-printed top matched with dressy shorts makes for an unexpected combination perfect for a party or a night out with the girls. Spiked accessories add an edge factor to the look. Rock this outfit when you are feeling your most confident and you will be sure to turn some heads!

3. Class

I know I’m not alone when I say I would love to wear yoga pants and flip flops to class everyday. But hey, it’s a new quarter and you never know who might be sitting next to you in lecture. Black jeggings and a button-up blouse offer a similarly comfortable alternative that won’t leave you looking gym bound. The studded collar on this top draws the eye while complimenting the flashy shoes. Finish the look off with some arm candy of your choice and you’re good to go.

1. Office hours

When you’re meeting with a professor to discuss your paper or to ask for that letter of recommendation, you want to appear put-together. A cream colored blouse with a faux collar detail looks chic while the bright magenta pants show off your personality. Black embellished tuxedo slippers add more structure and texture to the outfit than would plain ballet flats.

5. Daytime date

Let your glittering shoes shine as bright as your personality! Keep the outfit simple with some mint colored pants and a chiffon top. Skip the fussy accessories and add a single statement bracelet to add visual interest without overdoing it. A small bag is perfect for essentials like your phone, keys, and cash.

1. Afternoon lunch with family

You can never go wrong with a feminine look that is both pretty and polished. This circle skirt adds a ton of volume and hits at an appropriate length. A bold printed blouse provides some much-needed color while a chunky cream infinity scarf balances out the volume of the skirt.