alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

For the longest time my sister and I shared a room, but once she moved out I wasted no time in decorating it the way I wanted to. Albeit, I might not have the money or time to completely revamp my room so I settled for minimal adjustments with big impacts. I believe that a person’s room says a lot about them, so why not create a space that reflects both your personality and great style?

Hang a Tapestry

Instead of hanging up framed paintings, try a tapestry. If your living in a dorm and are not allowed to paint your room, this is a great alternative. Tapestries are much easier to hang and instantly livens up your room. They come in all different sizes and colors which makes it easy for you to find your perfect one.

Add Plants

Incorporating real plants or fresh flowers can create an illusion of a cleaner room and makes your space look more put together. They also help purify the air around you which is great if you don’t have any windows. I recommend getting some succulents or a bouquet of your favorite flowers.

Rearrange Furniture

Just by rearranging some of your furniture you can easily change up the look and flow of your room. You might even find yourself with more space then before! This is the simplest way to switch up the look of your room without spending any money.

Switch out Your Bedding

As the seasons change I tend to change my bedding along with it. In the winter time, I like to add fuzzy pillows or furry blankets for a more cozy feel. On the otherhand when summertime comes, I switch out my neutral sheets for something more bright and colorful.

Consider Lighting

Lighting really helps transform a space. I recently bought fairy lights and wrapped them around my headboard to give my room more of a dreamy esthetic. Instead of opting for the usual desk lamp, maybe experiment with using floor lamps which you can easily move around if you need lighting in different areas of your room. It’s a super simple way to revamp your space and to  help set the mood.

Get a Diffuser

If you’re one to eat food in your room, every once in a while you might notice the lingering smell of carnitas or kimchi fried rice. Diffusers are here to help with those smells you just can’t get rid of. They work by misting water and the essential oils of your choice. You can drop in lavender oil for a more relaxing scent or peppermint oil if you want to feel energized. There is an essential oil for every mood and you can mix and match oils for a custom scent. Simply leave it running for an hour or so and it’ll leave your room smelling nice and fresh.

Aishah Yosof

UC Irvine '20

First-year transfer student. Sociology major, Political Science minor.
Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.