Southern California Corgi Beach Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

This past Saturday, Huntington Beach hosted its popular celebration: Corgi Beach Day. The idea behind the event is to bring your corgi and have it participate in different games and social activities. To give a brief visual of the event, close your eyes and imagine a beach with over 200 corgis. That’s not all: imagine canopies filled with corgi t-shirts, corgis in costume, crazed corgi fans, and of course, the terrible rain storm that took place throughout the event. From the start of the event to about noon, corgis and humans alike were showered upon by relentless rain.

Afterward, the weather cleared up again, and people returned with their damp corgis. Some games included a talent contest and the “Biggest Corgi Butt” contest. The rain was unable to keep dog lovers away, as over 500 people filled the beach. Dog lovers from all over California ventured to Huntington Beach specifically to showcase their corgis and meet other dog lovers.

Some of the typical sights included corgis being bombarded by the ocean waves, corgis attached to GoPros, and corgis searching in the sand for “buried treasures.” One of the crowd favorites was the corgi battle in which two corgis would playfully tackle one another to the ground until one victor rose successful. 

Corgi Beach Day is an event made for dog lovers and happy dogs. Be sure to catch the next Corgi Beach Day in May 2016 at Huntington Dog Beach.