This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Music has always been a form of escapism for me and it’s been really crucial for my mental health this past year. Finding songs that you can relate to or simply just love is an amazing way to brighten your mood in addition to coping emotionally. I have put together a list of songs that I have been listening to nonstop and I promise they can get you through the week too. 

“Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo 

I’m calling it now. Olivia is going to be the next big star. She released her debut single this past weekend and it is incredible. You can feel her emotions so clearly. The influences of Taylor Swift and Lorde are very noticeable. She’s only 17 years old and you may know her as the lead from High School Musical: The Musical: The Series on Disney+. It quickly became number one on the charts, both globally and in the U.S. If you haven’t listened yet, go support Olivia! 

“Stargazing” by The Neighbourhood

I absolutely adore this song and the music video. It’s an instant serotonin boost. Honestly, if you haven’t listened to The Neighbourhood’s new album, Chip Chrome & The Mono-Tones then you’re missing out. Every song makes me want to take a drive down PCH. 

“Lovin’ Me” by Kid Cudi (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) 

Cudi and Phoebe are a pair I didn’t know I needed. When I first listened, my jaw was on the floor. The song gave me goosebumps. Besides their beautiful harmonization, the message shared holds such a special place in my heart as I know what it’s like to be silently struggling searching for that relief of loving myself. 

“Good Days” by SZA

Dreamy. Magical. Peaceful. A reminder that good days are ahead. 

“gold rush” by Taylor Swift 

Taylor is a lyrical genius. Her mind is so complex and every song tells a different story. I love the concept of “Gold Rush”. It’s about seeing a stranger and falling into a daydream about them. However, the song snaps back to reality, knowing that the love will never come true. A tragically beautiful masterpiece. 

“Girl Like Me” by Jazmine Sullivan ft H.E.R. 

Jazmine and H.E.R.’s voices blend so seamlessly. The meaning of the song is so relatable and it’s told in an incredible way. They are telling the story of how “good girls” often see themselves as the problem when a man doesn’t want them. Sometimes the truth hurts.   

“just like magic” by Ariana Grande

This song has been my anthem for some time now. It’s such a mood booster and contains affirmations. I play it to hype myself up and I highly recommend you do too. We all deserve self-love. 

“Angels Like You” by Miley Cyrus 

This song is one of her most raw and honest moments. It’s highly speculated that she wrote this song about her relationship with Liam Hemsworth, as she sings “it’s not your fault I ruin everything” and “angels like you can’t fly down here with me”. The lyrics are heartbreaking, yet poetic. 

“alive” by ROLE MODEL

I think this has to be my favorite song off of his EP. It makes me feel like I’m running through a field on a sunny day. 

I hope you enjoy these songs as much as I do… time to go have a solo dance party. ;)

Woman wearing white headphones and dancing
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

Kaitlyn is a third-year majoring in psychological science. She was born and raised in Southern California and loves taking therapeutic drives down PCH. She is passionate about mental health awareness, fashion, Harry Styles and making memories with her friends.