Simple Ways to Finding Deals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Being a college student, you must know how high the cost of getting a degree is. Budget cuts are racking up the price of school even more, as if school didn’t already cost an arm and a leg! So if you weren’t a bargain hunter, now would be a great time to start. Saving money is easy (and fun), so check out some of my tips for finding discounts. With all the money you’ll save, you won’t have to walk away from those super cute Steve Madden™ heels you’ve been dying to buy.

Books:
If you’re anything like me, you don’t look forward to shopping for textbooks because they can take a huge chunk out of your savings account. You’re probably familiar with Half.com, but I’ve found websites that can beat those prices!

Dealoz.com – If you need to buy a textbook for the biology class you’ve been dreading to take (or even if you want the next Nicholas Sparks book), use Dealoz. It provides you with a list of websites selling your book and shows you the best price. (You can also find DVDs, CDs, and video games)

Book.ly – This is another go-to site specifically for cheap textbooks. The neat thing about this site is you can find the book you need by looking up your school and class. You can also save by selling your textbook. Who knew shopping for textbooks could be fun?!

Everything else:
You’re probably familiar with Groupon.com and LivingSocial.com. If you aren’t, just confirm your city, enter your email address, and start finding deals offered in your area. Easy as 1-2-3! Get enough friends to buy the same deal and you can get yours for free. What exactly is the difference between the two? The deals. So sign up for both to get a wider range of deals (from movie tickets, haircuts, to restaurants. Both websites also have apps for phones so you won’t have to worry about printing coupons, perfect if you’re on the go.

Retailmenot.com and Stoorz.com – These two are mainly for all you online shoppers. Noticed the ‘promo code’ box when checking out? Just go to one of these websites and look up the store you need to see a list of promo codes. (Sometimes the promo codes are a hit-or-miss, but it doesn’t hurt to try!)

Email Subscriptions:
Many stores and restaurants now have chances to save money by signing up for email subscriptions. So the next time the cashier asks you if you want to sign up for an ‘email club’, just say yes! You can even sign up through the store or restaurant’s website. Don’t worry, your inbox won’t be swamped with spam—it’ll fill up with deals. Your favorite restaurant could even send you a free meal offer on your birthday. Who doesn’t love free food? So start using your email address for something other than Facebook!

Happy bargain shopping Collegiates™!

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.