Show the World the Real You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Last week during our Her Campus meeting one of our members created a workshop on tips about self-confidence. So, I started practicing those tips. And, I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but in one of my sociology courses my professor started lecturing about “Stress” and she shared an important concept that most sociology majors should know, “Looking Glass Self.”

Basically, the “Looking Glass Self” coined by Cooley consists of three concepts: one we see ourselves as we think we appear to others, second, we see in our imagination other’s judgement of ourselves, lastly based on our imagination of how others view us it creates a self-feeling, such as satisfaction or humiliation. Therefore, we are in control as to how we want others to view us. We can decide who will be our “glasses.”

This quarter I haven’t been inspired with ideas to write articles. But, during one of my afternoon runs as I was listening to my favorite song, “Me Vale,” by the Spanish rock band Mana, I was inspired to write this article. The song has a powerful message about not caring what others think of you, and to just be yourself. Here’s the English translation of the song.

I’m still trying to learn how to accept myself for who I am. It takes time but as Nat mentioned if you remind yourself every day that you are worth it your self-confidence gets better. Honestly, it feels nice when you don’t think of what others might think of you. Also, do not make the mistake of comparing yourself to others.

So, I encourage you to go out there, and be yourself. Until next time!

P.S. Remember you are beautiful!