This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Out of the many lessons that COVID-19 has taught me, one of the biggest ones is the importance of self-care.

During the start of the pandemic, I found myself stuck in an endless cycle that consisted of waking up, doing online school, and repeating. I felt stuck in a time loop on Groundhog’s Day. The burnout from online school and the stress over the state of our nation took a huge toll on me. I wasn’t myself, and I knew I had to make some changes to get out of this depressive state.

As 2022 rolled around, I decided that I would make a better effort to prioritize self-care since I had neglected it. I began to copy and paste pictures on my vision board that reminded me to indulge in things that brought me joy and put my needs first. For me, this is easier said than done. I know firsthand how making time for yourself in college can be difficult. Participating in self-care made me guilty because I knew I had other responsibilities. How could something meant to provide me relief cause me stress? For some reason, I had this toxic mindset that I only deserve the reward of self-care after completing my daily tasks and assignments. I convinced myself that a snack break or reading the next chapter of my book was something that had to be earned. 

However, that is not true. There’s a difference between prioritizing your work and denying yourself needed pleasure and rest. I’ve always struggled with this. After I complete my tasks, I have to deal with what I’ve neglected, and it is not a pretty sight. For example, cleaning my depression room should be considered an Olympic sport. I feel very accomplished afterward, but I’m left to wonder how I let this happen in the first place. Nowadays, I realize that I don’t have to prove that I am worthy of self-care and that tending to myself shouldn’t consume me with guilt. In a way, humans are like phone batteries. They must allow themselves time to recharge and energize, or else they will crash. 

I’ve learned that self-care comes in different forms. It’s not solely dropping a bath bomb into the tub and putting on a face mask. Everyone has their own definition of it. For me, it can be playing Wordle, watching Abbott Elementary, ungracefully roller skating, and taking social media breaks. It’s dancing around my room and pretending that I have a starring role in a music video or writing articles like this one. Self-care can be saying no to plans, protecting your peace, or forcing yourself to stay on a routine. Sometimes it is the simple tasks like cooking a meal or sleeping in. Also, self-care can be doing things you’ve been procrastinating on or just don’t want to do. For example, I can’t bring myself to go within a 2-mile radius of a gym, but I find that forcing myself to go on walks brings me peace. We all have preferred methods of self-care. The aesthetic idea of self-care that has been perpetuated online doesn’t always reflect reality. 

As a perfectionist, I’ve learned, the hard way, to stop overextending myself. Burnout is not a good look on anyone. I’m not telling you to abandon all your responsibilities, even though I’m sure it’s very tempting. The point is that scheduling time to invest in yourself to improve your well-being is crucial. Nowadays, I am practicing this more often and have regained the joy and energy that once was lost. Making it through the day is a noble feat in itself.

Therefore, I’ve packed up my guilt and kicked it to the curb, but I’d be lying if I say it didn’t try to creep back in sometimes. My anxiety over the pandemic and what is happening in our nation has not completely subsided. However, the difference is that I have learned to cope with it in a better way. Being productive doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your well-being. Self-care is not just a reward, it’s part of the process. Therefore, if you’re looking for a sign to go easy on yourself, this is it. 

Kayla Atkinson

UC Irvine '23

Hello everyone! My name is Kayla Atkinson and I am psychology and sociology double major. In my free time, I enjoy listening to music, binging Netflix and reading a good book. I hope you enjoy my work!