closeup of pride flag?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
closeup of pride flag?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Cecilie Johnsen on Unsplash
Life > Academics

Queertopia in “The Decameron” and “The Hunger”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

This quarter in Humanities Core, I had the opportunity to read Giovanni Boccaccio’s The Decameron. Written in the 14th Century, it deals with human sexuality and builds a world in which sexuality takes a step out of its taboo. The work instills compassion in the reader in order to shape a better world based on human happiness rather than social stigmas. With The Decameron as a basis, I want to expand on the idea of text as a communicative device, specifically in furthering the acceptance of queer people.

The work embodies the Christian ideal of loving one’s neighbor, which Boccaccio implores the reader to adopt with respect to queer neighbors. Boccaccio pushes this idea even knowing that he is fighting an uphill battle because the phrase was used dissonantly with the actual social norms of the Church in his time. Videographer Natalie Wynn satirizes how empty the phrase sometimes feels in her film The Hunger: “I’m the most compassionate person that [anyone knows], but ‘love your neighbor’ doesn’t mean anything goes”. In her view, people who “question the worthiness of other people’s lives” run from the dissonance between loving and hating their neighbors. The Hunger is a retelling of Wynn’s struggle with addiction—a real consequence of queer rejection modeled by a character for presentation to the viewer.

Whereas Wynn works from the inside, speaking to a mainly queer audience, Boccaccio attempts to communicate queerness to an outside audience. In the tenth story of day five of The Decameron, he humanizes the homosexual character Pietro—he builds up the worth of Pietro’s life in the eyes of a reader who may condemn Pietro for being gay—even while describing him in othering, even derogatory terms. Simultaneously, Pietro can be sinful for his homosexuality and loved for contributing to the story’s happy ending.

Boccaccio, by virtue of his derivative ideas, is queer. He wants to live in a world where queerness is accepted. Both works address the hunger created by the unquenched desire to be a beloved neighbor. While Wynn’s queer character falls through this void into addiction, Boccaccio urges the reader to save the characters of The Decameron from the same fate. He shows how to fill the emptiness of a socially rejected life with acceptance to elevate the quality of life for the rejected and the rejector.

Like Wynn in “The Hunger”, Boccaccio realizes that the message of loving queerness is arresting and that its direct treatment is unlikely to convince anyone new to adopt it. Thus, they welcome the reader into their space under the guise of celebrating sensuality. The Decameron’s main theme is the acceptance of sexuality, and many of the stories are designed to make the reader laugh about sex rather than condemn it. Wynn includes Lucy, her dealer, who provides sex jokes as well as substances, endearing the viewer to her and temporarily knocking away the stigma of her business. Both Boccaccio and Wynn create a sexy space in which to place their queer narratives, appealing to a broader audience than just seekers of queer angst, and then present a problem specific to queer people.

The confluence of these two works despite their seven-hundred-year displacement shows the vitality of the genre, fueled by the continued rejection of queerness. Effective across modes, this style of story that creates a progressively more estranged space—the queertopia—lends itself brilliantly to text action, invoking through evocation the application of the morals that it teaches. Indeed, its appeal to the reader to actually accept real queer people contributes to keeping it alive; the effects of its works are less tied to contemporary aesthetics and more to a universal struggle in favor of strangeness and novelty for the sake of progress.

Rose Enos

UC Irvine '27

Rose Enos (she/her) is a first-year student majoring in computer science at UC Irvine. She enjoys writing media analyses and connecting her thoughts and experiences on the philosophy of gender and being. She aims to write articles that present ways for transgender students to feel more comfortable in themselves and at their campus, and that stimulate discussion of various topics related to academic and personal life. She is inspired by queer writers and media and her ultimate goal is to add to the repertoire of representation. In school, Rose participated in the debate team for eight years where she discovered her interest in philosophy and developed her personal writing style. Online and at school, she has volunteered as an editor for both academic and non-academic papers, which has fed her interest in grammar and linguistics. She is excited to incorporate queerness and queer interpretations into her work. On the side, she writes fiction and poetry. Rose is from Sacramento, CA where she permanently resides with her mom, dad, younger brother, and cat. She was the valedictorian of her high school graduating class. In her free time, she enjoys playing video games, watching video essays, and spending time with her girlfriend.