The Pre-Finals Pep Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The first finals week of the year is fast upon us here at UCI, and for some students, it’s a personal Armageddon.  Returning Anteaters utter their accustomed sighs and camp out in the crowded libraries, while new ones comb the school in swarms, searching for the perfect study location.  And no matter which team you belong to, the week of tests, papers, and project deadlines isn’t typically something you’d look forward to.  Luckily, we’ve provided a few helpful suggestions to help you survive this dreaded week with hardly more than a scratch.

1. Create your ideal study environment.

Whether you’re trying to memorize information, edit your final papers, or put the finishing touches on a class presentation, you’re going to need a comfortable, distraction-free setting that will promote your productivity.  This varies from person to person!  Whether you choose the library, Gateway, a computer lab, the park, a private study room, the nearest Starbucks, or your own bedroom, remember to ensure that your space is quiet.  Nothing is more distracting than a group of chatty Kathy’s when you’re trying to read the final pages of Anna Karenina.  Another important thing to avoid is studying on your bed.  Seriously.  Don’t do it.  You will fall asleep eventually—it’s guaranteed—so opt for a comfortable chair or a desk instead.  Make sure your environment is the ideal temperature, too: if you’re too cold, you’ll have difficulty concentrating, and if you’re too warm, you’ll find yourself very sleepy.

1. Wear comfortable clothes.

Even if you’re the ultimate campus fashionista, finals week isn’t the time to be displaying those stiff new leather boots that make your feet hurt, or the jeans that restrict movement.  These will only create discomfort and make it harder for you to concentrate on your work!  Ditch the itchy tights and grab your favorite sweatshirt and a pair of yoga pants or leggings.  No one will judge you for it—finals week is the one time of the year where sloppy outfits and fashion “don’ts” become acceptable by your peers…who will probably have their noses buried too deeply in their books to spare your ensemble a second glance.

1. Make a special music playlist.

Whether you like country or hip-hop, making a special study playlist can save you the time it takes to change radio stations or shuffle through your music library while studying.  Choose songs that motivate or relax you, rather than ones that might capture your full attention and detract from your studies.  Plug in your headphones, put the playlist on repeat, and let the great ideas flow!

1. Leave time to eat.

As simple as the action is, it’s one we are prone to forget while under a lot of stress, or when we’re very busy.  But a growling stomach isn’t conducive to your studies!  Being hungry will only end up distracting you and making you uncomfortable.  Designate breaks for meals, and pack a bunch of snacks and water to hold you through in the meantime.  You won’t regret it.

1. Find ways to relax.

You don’t need to be one hundred percent on all the time to do well on your finals.  Use your down time wisely and de-stress!  Go to the gym, take a walk in Aldrich Park, or attend a yoga class to get those endorphins going—they’ll make it easier for you to focus when you get back to your work.  Light some fragrant candles, take a bubble bath, give yourself a home facial, or go get pedicures or massages with your friends.  Curl up to read a chapter or two of your favorite book, watch your favorite light-hearted movie, or take a rejuvenating nap—whatever relaxes you!  Remember that it’s important to take breaks to do something that will calm you down and reset your batteries before delving back into your tasks.

1. Breathe.

While finals are important, they don’t define who you are, or your future success in life.  So don’t freak out—that won’t help you!  Try to keep a positive attitude and keep from becoming overwhelmed.  In the end, it’s just a test.  All you can do is give it your all, and after that, it’s out of your hands.  Any time you find yourself bogged down by the pressure, set the textbook aside and take a few deep breaths, concentrating on the action of breathing instead of the material you’re trying to memorize.  Just breathe!

Finally, if there’s any comfort in finals week, it’s knowing that we’re all in the same boat at this time of the year.  And if you feel like your boat is the Titanic, chances are that there’s someone around you who is also humming “My Heart Will Go On.” 

Best of luck and happy studying!