Playlist Picks–Mind Blown: Dramatizations of Hit Pop Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Photo credit http://blog.ancientlasers.com

Far too often, when a pop song gains any shred of popularity, it is played over and over and over again, until we find ourselves subconsciously humming along to the beat or trying (and failing) to shake the lyrics from our head. A catchy song gets ingrained into our minds, whether we like it or not. Sometimes, you find your anthem in a hit like “Titanium” by David Guetta. Other times, after so much repetition, you want to staple your ears shut when you hear the upbeat opening of “Call Me Maybe.” In a world where teenagers are force-fed the same tunes multiple times a day, it seems impossible to still enjoy them at the end of the week. But what if these hits were completely rearranged, to the point that you barely recognized them? Whether a hilarious take on a 90s classic or a gut-wrenching acoustic dramatization, covers of the most publicized pop songs can often inspire a love you didn’t know was achievable. Sometimes, your mind gets blown.

Sit down, press play, and rediscover some of our lifetime’s most overdone songs.

Bootylicious – Tom Rosenthal (originally by Destiny’s Child)

Get Lucky – Daughter (originally by Daft Punk)

Paradise – Duke (originally by Coldplay)

Toxic – Jayme Dee (originally by Britney Spears)

Call Me Maybe – Ben Howard (originally by Carly Rae Jepsen)

Hold On, We’re Going Home – Yasmeen (originally by Drake)

Sabrina Hughes is a second-year Film & Media Studies and Literary Journalism double major at the University of California, Irvine. She is the Body Image Coordinator for her sorority, Delta Delta Delta and a Right to KNOW Peer Educator for the Campus Assault Resources and Education Office. This is Sabrina's first year as a writer for Her Campus.
...