Playlist Picks: For Broken Hearts Only

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Five years—1,825 days, 43,800 hours—that’s about how long it took for my heart to break. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I will wholeheartedly admit that for the first time, I am not excited, not one bit. A very special person told me that emotions are like waves, we need to experience them—or in other words “let them go right through” us instead of pushing them away in denial. What better way to do so than through music? They have the ability to put feelings into words, they inspire us to remain confident and hopeful, and they allow us to get the nauseating, gut-wrenching feelings out—which is definitely something some of us need right now.

So for those of you out there still having a hard time falling asleep, and for those of you sprawled hopeless on the floor trying to pick up a million little pieces like me— take a deep breath, step back, take care of yourself and listen.

If –Destiny’s Child

Bad Habit—Destiny’s Child

P.S. I’m Still Not Over You—Rihanna

Me, Myself and I—Beyonce

I Almost Do—Taylor Swift

Drops of Jupiter—Train

Marvin’s Room (Can’t Do Better) Cover—Jojo

Take It From Here—Justin Timberlake

The One I Gave My Heart To—Aaliyah

T-Shirt—Shontelle

With love this Valentine’s Day,

Nicole

Nicole is currently a fourth year Public Health Policy major with a minor in Psychology and Social Behavior. She has been writing for HerCampus UC Irvine for over two years, editing for almost two. When she's not busy working closely with her co-editor and managing the writing staff of HC UCI, she spends a lot of time at Corona del Mar...or baking cookies. She is also an expert baby wrangler and works part time at the UCI Infant Toddler Center. Her true loves include the color pink and copious cups of coffee.
...