Playlist Picks: Bring It Back to the 90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Photo credit to http://gnarld.com/

Whether you were born in the ‘80s, ‘90s, or ‘00s, people seem to gravitate towards the era of the ‘90s. We don’t know what it was about the ‘90s that makes the 2000s seem not so riveting. From the classic shows like Full House and Family Matters to movies such as Titanic and Forrest Gump, the 90s were the golden era for all of us Collegiettes.

However the one thing we can never forget about the ‘90s is the music. This was the decade of boy bands, pop punk, and hip-hop. These next few songs are going to give you nostalgia that they’ll keep playing in your head for a good week or two.

To start it off, we’re bringing back the boy bands. The two most famous boy bands of the ‘90s were none other than Backstreet Boys and N’SYNC. Though they weren’t the first boy bands to come across the music industry but they did bring in the fan girls.

Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way (1998)

N’SYNC – Tearin’ Up My Heart (1998)

Moving on from the boy band phase, hip-hop and rap created a big scene in the ‘90s. The early ‘90s brought us some energetic and fun music. I completely forgot about this song until I heard it on Friends with Benefits starring Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake. I hope I wasn’t the only one.

Kriss Kross – Jump (1992)

From pop to hip-hip, there is still room to introduce the sweet melodies of ballads. These are the songs that touched your heart and ended up making you cry because they were just too beautiful. Boyz II Men, another boy band with less pop and more soul, took the decade with many of their slow, harmonic tunes. 

Boyz II Men – I’ll Make Love to You (1994)

width:640 height:320 align:center]

Soulful music didn’t only come from Boyz II Men, it also came from the very talented and popular, Whitney Houston. Her voice hypnotized all of us and this tune is probably the most popular song to cover on Youtube and in singing competitions.

Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You (1999)

width:640 height:320 align:center]

We definitely can’t forget about Miss Britney Spears. She transitioned us from the late ‘90s to the early ‘00s and she’s a force to be reckoned with. Through her ups and downs of life, she still manages to stay on the top. Let’s reminisce back to the very beginning of her career. She was the IT girl of our time.

Britney Spears – Baby One More Time (1999)

There are many songs that bring back many memories from the ‘90s. There are so many that they all could not make it on here. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_the_1990s for the “Billboard Hot 100 Number One Singles of the 1990s”. That will sure bring on the nostalgia.

Bianca Duarte is a first year, Film & Media Studies major at the University of California, Irvine. She enjoys writing, reading, and anything media related. Her hobbies include attending events and concerts and scrolling aimlessly through her twitter feed.
...