Playlist Picks: Born In The Wrong Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Nowadays, turning on the radio is something almost painful for me. As a classic rock lover, seeing what my generation listens to is disappointing, to say the least. We are the generation of musicians with no talent, where a pretty face and a crazy outfit (or no outfit at all… ##### #####) is enough to get anyone to the top of all music charts. When I listen to people talking about how Ke$ha or Pitbull are talented all I can do is sigh and think, “Oh, I was born in the wrong decade.” So, this is my decade’s playlist, where I go to the core of rock n’ roll, starting with Elvis Presley, yet not forgetting great musicians from other genres, like the wonderful Michael Jackson. These are my favorite songs of all time, literally. I also chose some of my favorite songs from this decade, as we do have some insanely talented artists among us. So, get into this time machine with me and let’s go back to the time when a MacBook wasn’t considered to be an instrument.

’50s –

“Blue Suede Shoes” – Elvis Presley (1956)

“Ready Teddy” – Little Richard (1956)

’60s-

“Eleanor Rigby” – The Beatles (1966)

“She’s a Rainbow” – The Rolling Stones (1967)

’70s-

“Going to California” – Led Zeppelin (1971)

“Tiny Dancer” – Elton John (1971)

’80s-

“Comfortably Numb” – Pink Floyd (1980)

“Billie Jean” – Michael Jackson (1983)

’90s-

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Nirvana (1991)

“Californication” – Red Hot Chili Peppers (1999)

2000s-

“Fix You” – Coldplay (2005)

“You Know That I’m No Good” – Amy Winehouse (2007)

2010s-

“Video Games” – Lana Del Rey (2011)

“Let Her Go” – Passenger (2012)

A Literary Journalism major in University of California Irvine. Thais was born in Brazil, where she lived until she turned 12, she then moved to Dubai, where she spent the rest of her high school years and learned how to speak English, ultimately finding her passion for writing. After graduation, she moved to Irvine, California hoping to pursue her dream and one day become a successful journalist.
...