This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Every year, without fail, you get asked what your resolutions are for the new year. Sometimes a goal is very clear to you, but what if you have no idea? Here are some tips for deciding on resolutions.

It doesn’t have to be some big, life-changing goal.

It’s totally okay to pick something small that will improve your life. Even just making a commitment to being a little more organized or keeping up with a journal or something is good enough.

You don’t have to lose weight.

People tend to choose the beginning of a new year to start a weight loss journey. If that’s for you, that’s fine, but if it’s not something you’re particularly interested in doing, you’re just setting yourself up for failure.

It can be something fun!

It’s really easy to feel restricted to resolutions that involve things you don’t particularly want to do (which is why you didn’t do them in the first place), but you can choose to pick up a new hobby or resolve to save up for a vacation or experience instead.

The most important thing to know is that you don’t have to have a New Year’s Resolution at all. Not everyone has the time, money, or energy to make changes in their lives that may be difficult, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Happy New Year!

Natalia Cabrera

UC Irvine '18

Hi! My name is Nat and I am a third year student at UC Irvine. I'm proud to call sunny Los Angeles my hometown.  I love being a tourist in my own city; going to museums, trying new places to eat, and exploring locations for cute photo-ops!