OHM Nightclub: Nightclub Virgins Welcome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

In the world of Hollywood and LA nightlife, pretty much anything goes. Although parties nearby are most likely more affordable, nightclubs have a certain energy to them that you cannot find in Irvine. If you are saving your nights out for venue parties and formals, then you are doing it wrong. 

For your first time going to a dance club, here are some things you should expect to be a little more prepared – these tips will help. Who knows? Maybe I’m the only one who could have used the advice, but if you are also a twenty-something-year-old collegiate who has never been to a club before, you might want to read this.

First things first, make sure to go on a night when there is a good DJ. My friends and I went to the OHM Nightclub event hosted by a KIIS FM DJ, and it made all the difference. Not only that, but also make sure to leave on time, like after rush hour so that you can get there without having to wait in line for hours. Doors usually open at 10, so you should plan on getting there a little early. 

Second, make sure to bring money for water (they charged me $1 at the bar), and make sure to drink enough of it! You might not notice it if you’re not careful, but it is really easy to get dehydrated while you’re at a nightclub. 

Third, don’t be afraid to dance like no one is watching. Even though you’re surrounded by some college grads and real-life adults, they will be doing some pretty stupid things. Trust me, you have some artistic freedom with your dance moves here. 

And last but not least, be patient. Wait for the dance floor to fill up, and give the DJ a chance to get things going before you start dancing. Otherwise, you will be one of those awkward drifters who are helplessly trying to get the party started on their own. Wait for the music to pick up the pace and the crowd will start to form on the dance floor. Most importantly, stay safe and have fun!

OHM Nightclub is an 18-plus dance club in Hollywood, LA.