October Favorites ft. Her Campus Fall Survival Kits

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

It’s hard to believe that the month of October is over. It feels like it was just yesterday when the last few weeks of summer lingered and we eagerly awaited the fall season,  pumpkin spice goodness, and Halloween festivities.

Now that November is inching its way into our calendars, here are a few things that I found myself enjoying during the month of October, featuring Her Campus’s Fall Survival Kits!

1. Nothing screams back to school better than a brand new planner to help start your year organized and ready to conquer midterms and hang outs. For me, every back to school shopping has to include a planner because it helps me stay on track of my assignments and any scheduled appointments. If you’re looking for a stylish and trendy planner, Erin Condren offers 18-month planners that can help you plan from July 2017 to December 2018. Each planner cover comes with a unique design theme, so there’s plenty to choose from that can fit your aesthetic.

1. To go with my planner, my favorite pens to write with are the MUJI Capped Gel-Ink pens. What I like the most about these are that they are smooth and easy to write with. They also come in different size pen nibs, which are a plus since you get to choose how thick you want your ink to come out in. I currently only have the black and blue pens, but I’m definitely planning on getting more colors to add to my collection.

1. Speaking of back to school, one of my essentials happens to be face masks. Studying for midterms or writing papers always stress me out no matter how much I prepare for them. To counter any stress pimples studying may cause, I like to use either sheet masks or even clay masks to help detox my skin. Freeman actually offers different face masks for different needs. Each mask is made with fresh botanicals that not only makes their products smell good, but also your skin feel amazing afterwards. The Freeman Feeling Beautiful Detoxifying Charcoal + Black Sugar Mud Mask is a must try if you’re looking to detox pores and exfoliate for smooth skin. If you’re looking for some clay masks, try out the Freeman Feeling Beautiful Manuka Honey + Tea Tree Oil Clay Mask + Cleanser or the Freeman Feeling Beautiful Rejuvenating Cucumber + Pink Salt Clay Mask. You’ll feel much better and less stressed out after giving yourself a pamper night.

1. My next October favorite actually happens to be a book that I had to read for one of my Literary Journalism classes. The name of the nonfiction book is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. My favorite thing about this book is that while it reads like a novel, it actually is a true crime book based on real events that happened in the town of Savannah, Georgia in the 1980s and tells the story of the people who reside in Savannah. However, what is a true crime book without any murders involved? With that said, throughout the book, Berendt follows real-life events that surround a murder involving one of the richest men in Savannah and a local male prostitute. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is definitely a good read if you’re not trying to finish it within three weeks for a college course.

1. For those nights that you want to stay in and snuggle up on your couch while watching Netflix, my next favorite will favor you greatly. As the weather transitions from blazing hot summer to a slightly cooler fall, a soft blanket is always a favorite. Mine happens to be one with Peanuts characters on it! It’s soft, cozy, cute, and very inviting.

1. And for those who like to go all out on Friday nights, we can’t forget about hairspray to help keep our hair in perfect shape. If you love hairspray that actually holds and does its job, Bed Head by TIGI Hard Head Hairspray is your definite go to. Not only does it do its job, but it also gives your hair a subtle shine and conditions all while controlling your hair. Bonus!

1. A college student’s best friend just so happens to be food! HI-CHEW is the perfect candy to satisfy any sweet tooth. You can find them in most convenience and grocery stores, and there are a variety of flavors to choose from such as Grape, Cherry, Banana, Strawberry, Mango, and more. If you’re looking for something sweet to drink that’s on the healthier side, an alternate to water would be Spindrift’s Sparkling Water. It’s made with real, squeezed fruit and sparkling water, so you know you’re getting nothing but the good ingredients!

1. Last but not least, you can’t go back to school without going back to school shopping. A stable that I must have in my closet has to be a good pair of jeans. It’s hard for me to find some that fit both my waist and are not too long, but at Aéropostale, they have a variety of different styles, sizes and lengths to choose from.

In a blink of an eye, the month was over. Although October may be over, I’m happy to welcome November with open arms – bring on the month of Thanksgiving!

Just another paper cut survivor living vicariously through myself. I prefer my puns intended. My hobbies are breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.