Beauty Rep Images 1png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Beauty Rep Images 1png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Someone Great on Netflix

Netflix’s Rom-Com Someone Great: The Guide Of Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

This film is no ordinary rom-com. Someone Great is truly something great because it shows the process of healing from a tough breakup and characters embarking on a self-love journey like no other. This film stars Gina Rodriguez, Brittany Snow, DeWanda Wise and Lakeith Stanfield who all give phenomenal performances because of their realistic portrayals of their characters. The main character named Jenny Young goes through a tough breakup with Nate Davis, and the most heartbreaking part is that they were together for nine years. Yes, nine years! That was completely heartbreaking for Jenny because Nate was her everything. It was as if she lost a piece of herself. Although Jenny was completely devastated to leave NYC and all of her friends behind, she gains an opportunity of a lifetime to pursue her dreams as an upcoming journalist for the Rolling Stone magazine in San Francisco. The most captivating part about this film is that it is not the average rom-com where the guy cheats or does something completely unforgivable. No, Nate was a great guy and Jenny was never the bitter ex who attempted to plot for revenge. Yes, they had their ups and downs like any other couple, but it just was not meant to be for the two of them. It shows that sometimes, people come and go in our lives and that is okay. It does not make Nate necessarily a bad guy, he is just not the right guy for her. Jenny also has an insane rollercoaster of emotions and some wacky adventures with her friends to show that dealing with a breakup is never easy, but once you pick up the pieces, you really do find yourself or everything you’ve ever aspired to be. This film has great moments of comedic timing and more importantly shows the lesson that you do not need anyone to complete you. (SPOILER ALERT!) Jenny and Nate do not get back together, so there are no cliches of a romantic happily ever after, but that is alright. Jenny still finds her happiness simply by learning how to complete herself, which is the best ending. Here are some more lessons that Someone Great has taught me about love, breakups and self-love. 

Designecologist / Unsplash

● Don’t be afraid to focus on yourself, your career and your goals. In the beginning, a heartbroken Jenny has a personal conversation with a stranger after her breakup. She says, “Me and my man broke up—of nine years … I’m moving to San Francisco ‘cause I got my dream job. Career girl over here doing the damn thing. Getting it done.” This quote shows that Jenny being alone made her stronger, more ambitious and independent. 

● Don’t forget to listen, dance or sing to some self-love anthems to feel good about yourself. One of the most charming moments is when Jenny and Erin sing “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo in their kitchen because it embraces what true friendship is about: being yourself with someone you care about the most. 

● Don’t settle for less than your worth—the lesson learned from Blair in her unhappy relationship. She had to learn that she has to follow what is right for herself and to not be afraid of what other people thought about her. 

Someone Great Netflix
Netflix

● Don’t forget to call all of your closest friends to plan an “epic night out,” or in Jenny’s case, the Neon Festival because it is a place that makes her the most happy. 

● Don’t be afraid to be bold, dress up and find your confidence. 

● Be honest with yourself and do not be afraid to say your feelings aloud. If you cannot say your feelings out loud, then don’t be afraid to express them on paper. Let it out! The creative outlet is sometimes the best kind of outlet. The scene of Jenny writing her breakup letter is a must-see because it is overflowing with heartfelt emotions. Especially when she says, “But that’s not real, is it? There are no more ‘one more’s.’” This shows that you should never hold grudges or stay mad at someone and you should just appreciate the memories you have. 

marble and pink notebook
Plush Design Studio

● Don’t forget that everything always happens for a reason. The broken heart will always heal in time and will only make you stronger. 

● Don’t be afraid to put yourself, your dreams and your happiness first. The moment Jenny has a dream of Nate finally asking for her back, it gives her the realization that she did not need him after all. She just needed herself, her friends and an epic night out. Jenny even says, “I guess in that moment I was choosing myself … ‘cause it’s not our journey anymore. It’s mine.” If you place yourself first and really learn to love yourself, then the rest falls into place.

Hello Everyone, My name is Victoria Hernandez. I am a fourth-year English major with a specialization in Education. I aspire to become a high school teacher because I want to help students prepare for their future, and show them that anything is possible if you believe in yourself. I have a passion for writing slam poetry, performing rap lyrics, and film editing. I am also a HUGE Disney fanatic. If it is at all possible to live at Disneyland then sign me up. I hope that my future writings will make you smile or will make your day shine brighter because it's a great feeling to spread kindness wherever you go.