This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Netflix has become an amazing streaming service for people around the world, even replacing cable, not only for its good content, but for its lower monthly price. With a variety of movies, TV shows, documentaries and more, Netflix is the service to go to for a nice movie night with friends and family. With that said, December is finally here and Netflix has released four new Christmas movies for its audience to enjoy this holiday season. They are all different in story but try to maintain the holiday spirit and the magic that comes with it.

Here are short summaries of what the movies consist of so that you can take your pick of what you’ll watch this holiday season!

1. The Holiday Calendar (Nov. 2)

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/info/80242446/s

The Holiday Calendar is about a struggling photographer, played by Kat Graham, who inherits an old Advent calendar that belonged to her grandmother. One day, she wakes up and notices that inside the calendar there is a small pair of boots, which she receives later on that same day. Soon, she realizes that the calendar seems to be predicting the future and predicting a possible romance between her and a man she meets after she runs over his Christmas tree. Job opportunities arise as well and her life seems to have taken a turn for the better, but like every other romance movie, her guy best-friend seems upset that she is seeing another man. The calendar can only do so much so it is up to her to decide what she wants for her life without the guidance of the calendar.

2. The Princess Switch (Nov. 16)

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/the-princess-switch-now-on-netflix.jpg

Vanessa Hudgens starred in the new Netflix movie The Princess Switch, as the soon-to-be Princess, Lady Margaret and a Chicago baker, Stacy De Novo who, after discovering they look like twins, decide to switch places for two days to know what it is like to live each other’s lives. They both meet when Stacy decides to take part in the Royal Baking Contest in Belgravia and accidentally bumps into Margaret who is there about her wedding cake. Lady Margaret wants to know what it is like to live a normal life before being married off to Prince Edward out of a sense of duty. Stacy agrees to Margaret’ plan since it is meant to be for only two days. What could go wrong? Turns out that Prince Edward, who was suppose to leave for Spain during those two days, stays to spend more time with Lady Margaret, who is currently Stacy. With both women living in each other’s lives, new experiences and new feelings emerge as both days progress. The Princess Switch is a great movie to get into the Christmas spirit and feel the holiday season approach.

3. The Christmas Chronicles (Nov. 22)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNTA3NjU3OTM2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ2MzE1NjM@._V1_.jpg

Starring Kurt Russell as Santa Claus, The Christmas Chronicles is about two sibling, Kate and Teddy Pierce, and their journey to save Christmas after they cause Santa to crash his sleigh and lose his reindeers. Forced to put their differences asides, Kate and Teddy work together with Santa to navigate the city of Chicago and try to gather the reindeer, find Santa’s bag with presents, fix the sleigh and deliver presents before the Christmas spirit reaches zero on Santa’s meter. They go through crazy situations together; Santa ends up in jail, Kate falls into Santa’s bag, and Teddy gets into trouble with a group of gangsters. Throughout the movie, the siblings are beginning to understand each other and the struggles they have been dealing with since their father’s passing the previous year. With Santa’s help, they learn to love each other and help each other move on.

4. A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding (Nov. 30)

https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20181015/rs_634x939-181115075414-634-A-Christmas-PRince-JR-111518.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

Amber and Richard, the couple who captivated many hearts last Christmas, are back a year later with a grand Christmas wedding. Although Amber loves Richard, it seems that becoming queen of an entire country does not come easy. With the pressures and expectations of the wedding, Amber is finding it hard to adjust and realizes that she has given up a lot about herself in order to fit the role of future queen. As the wedding draws near, Amber feels that Richard is not very supportive and is unsure if she can go through with it. Even though it is guaranteed that the couple will marry at the end of the movie, it is definitely a sequel to look forward to this holiday season. Thankfully, the same cast from the first movie will be in this second one and we can all see the same actors develop their characters further. With much success from the first movie, viewers have high expectations for this film. Let’s hope that Netflix meets all of them.

Emily Flores

UC Irvine '21

Emily is a third-year student at the University of California, Irvine. She is an English and Spanish Literature double major. She is currently learning Korean and would like to one day teach English in South Korea. In her free time, Emily loves reading, writing, and drawing. "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged cupid painted blind." -William Shakespeare
Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)