March Movie Marathon is a Go!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Spring break is coming up and you know what that means! More time stay cuddled up in bed watching movies.

If you’re anything like me, you get tired of the same old Hollywood movies and seeing the same faces on screen in recycled banal roles. So why not get your cultural fix and explore film through the lens of a different country while you have the time? Here are my top foreign movies (with subtitles of course) which are easily accessible online. So get your popcorn ready and whip out your blankets for a foreign themed movie marathon!

1. Amelie

This movie follows the adventures and many quirks of Amelie Poulain. If you’re one of those people with an overactive imagination and a childlike wonder, you’ll see yourself in everything she dares to accomplish for the people around her all the while learning to navigate the world for herself with her crippling shyness. This is a must if you want to explore Paris vicariously through curious Amelie.

1. Sadece Sen

What’s more romantic than an ex-boxer falling in love with a blind woman, and that too along the scenic Mediterranean sea in Turkey? Grab your tissues and prepare to ugly cry. The twists and turns in Hazal and Ali’s love story will leave you wanting more. A word of caution however, this movie doesn’t score low on the cheesy scale, so take the unrealistic twists of fate with a grain of salt.

1. 3 Idiots

Told in a series of flashbacks, we get to learn the story of two best friends in search of their long lost college friend who left an immeasurable impact in each one of their lives. This movie explores the comradery and often times rivalry between students in the same program, but also how they end up sharing a bond which can’t be found anywhere else. This movie will make you miss friends you’ve just seen and want to give a big hug to even your frenemies.  Follow these two best friends all around India to find their friend.

1. English Vinglish

Anyone who’s attempted to learn a new language can account for the isolation they feel when they can’t communicate effectively in their new language. Shashi, a stay at home mom from India decides to learn English and expose herself to new experiences in the US. This movie will make you realize the power normal people have, but also feel sympathy for the brave people who make the decision to assimilate to their new cultures in Western countries

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.