This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

With Coronavirus keeping us all at home, a lot of people are looking for new hobbies to pick up. As a manga collector myself, I thought I would suggest it! Manga is a form of Japanese media and basically, their form of Western comic books. There are numerous titles and with its growing popularity, many are being translated for international reading. From magical girls to skyscraper tall mechas, manga has something for everyone. Below are some useful tips for a manga collecting newbie. 

1. Research 

Sometimes reading the back of a book isn’t enough to truly get a feel for it. This is especially true for manga. When the average manga series spans roughly 10 novels, it’s important to research a series first to make sure you’ll enjoy it before buying its entirety. Websites such as r/MangaCollectors and My Anime List are great places to find in-depth reviews as well as recommendations. 

Another tip is to do a trial read. Many manga novels have free chapters available as a preview on either the publisher’s site or on Amazon. Skimming through them can provide some insight on whether you’ll enjoy the series or not. Of course, you can always buy the first three volumes of a manga to test and return it if you didn’t enjoy it. I recommend three volumes because that is usually the time it takes to fully set up the story, world, and characters. 

Someone typing on macbook
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash

2. Shop Frugally 

There’s a golden rule in manga collecting: never buy at retail stores. When you buy manga from places such as Barnes and Noble, you are paying full price for what is usually much cheaper online. Furthermore, many patrons of these stores read the books there and a lot of the copies have imperfections like dents in the spine and even pages ripped. Manga collecting can be expensive and one shouldn’t pay full price for essentially a used book. 

Instead, scour your local Facebook markets, Craigslist, or thrift stores. You’ll be surprised how much manga is available for sale through these venues. What’s more, you can often buy in bulk as lots of enthusiasts sell whole collections that either no longer interest them or fit on the shelves. I tend to buy from seasoned collectors because I know they keep their volumes in better shape than most. 

If these aren’t available, Amazon and Right Stuf Anime are the two big places to get new manga. It is considerably cheaper to buy from these websites and they have almost every manga title you can think of. 

For used books, Thrift Books is a great option and has free shipping for all orders over $10. I’ve found many volumes in almost mint condition here for as little as $4 each. 

Pile of US coins spilling out of glass jar
Josh Appel/Unsplash

3. Recommendations

This article wouldn’t be complete without a few recommendations that are just right for manga collecting newbies!

A Silent Voice (7 volumes) 

When Shoya mercilessly bullies a deaf girl named Shouko in primary school, he becomes an outcast and subjected to the same bullying he perpetrated. As he enters high school, however, the two meet once more and Shoya attempts to make amends. This  nationally acclaimed anime and manga is certainly a tear jerker for even the toughest readers.

The Promised Neverland (17 volumes currently; ongoing) 

This manga is action-packed, riveting, yet sweet and compelling at times. Follow Emma, Norman and Ray as they discover the dark secret of the orphanage and the one they call Mother.  

Monster (9 volumes) 

Murder, betrayal, and terror– this series has it all. Dr. Tenma is currently on the run. A once reputable surgeon, is now accused of the grisly murders of his colleagues. He must confront both his past and the looming threat of the future in order to solve the mystery. The author of this series, Naoki Urasawa, is a very well known and a genius writer. If you enjoy this series, I highly recommend his others as well! 

Manga collecting is a fun, satisfying and an entertaining hobby that with time and care, can be very easy to start. Not only will you be immersed in hundreds of stories, but they look lovely on any shelf. Good luck collecting!

Katherine Hong

UC Irvine '22

Hello! My name is Katherine aka Raisin Bread. I write about anything I find useful/ am interested in at the time. I enjoy journaling, video games (Genshin Impact, Persona 5, and Fire Emblem are my favorite), and writing. Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raisinbread3/ Web Series: https://raisinbread.carrd.co/