Looking For New Music Recs? Check Out These 6 Indie Artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Like every other teen, I’ve recently been expanding my music taste and avidly seeking out newfound artists. Here are a few of my favorite recent finds. 

Lucy Dacus

This queer, American indie rock singer and songwriter is well known for her participation in the group, Boygenius, which includes music artists Phoebe Bridgers and Julien Baker. However, Dacus produces her own music as well with themes about her queer identity and complex relationship with her past religious background. 

Some of my favorites from Dacus are:

“Night Shift” — The scream-your-heart-out classic, “Night Shift” from the album Historian, highlights Dacus’ vocals as she sings about the aftermath of an emotional breakup. 

“VBS”  — “VBS” from the album Home Video focuses on her religious experiences and the downfalls this religious connection can have.

“I Don’t Want To Be Funny Anymore” — In her first single as a music artist, “I Don’t Want To Be Funny Anymore” from her debut album No Burden, Dacus’ iconic guitar rhythm appears as she sings about expectations and pressures by others to be a certain way. 

Dacus writes and sings of themes many of us can relate to so I hope you’ll give her a listen!

Faye Webster

Faye Webster is an Atlanta-based indie folk singer and songwriter who started writing music at the age of 14. With four studio albums, Webster has an array of appealing songs, most of which unexpectedly have a country twang that may be unfamiliar to indie musicians and listeners. 

A few of my favorite Webster songs include: 

“Jonny” — From her album Atlanta Millionaires Club, this starts off slow as she sings about looking for love but becomes addicting after a few listens.

“Room Temperature”  — Also from Atlanta Millionaires Club, is a lyrically-repetitive song that mixes tropical with country in a slow yet mesmerizing way. 

“In A Good Way” — This song comes from her album I Know I’m Funny haha and is a slow ballad, once again implementing those country elements Webster is known for. Though the song is slow, the lyrics carry a happier tone and the song itself is perfect for the soft and peaceful moments in life. 

Make sure to check out these songs and more of Webster’s discography!

Indigo de Souza

Indigo de Souza is by far one of my favorite artists I’ve listened to. She’s an American singer and songwriter who frequently invokes raw emotions by intertwining her mother’s art with her indie rock albums. Though she has only released two studio albums, I Love My Mom and Any Shape You Take, each song hits you like a sucker punch with her extremely personal yet almost haunting lyrical style. Even just the way she sings is jam-packed with emotion. 

Picking just a few of her songs to highlight is difficult but if I had to choose, these would be my personal favorites: 

“What Are We Gonna Do Now” — This song comes from her album I Love My Mom and highlights de Souza’s unique singing style. She sings of an overworked relationship with repeating lyrics and an alluring melody that will have you spiraling.

“Real Pain” — De Souza sings of grief and loss here in a cathartic and mesmerizing way. With background screams woven into the lyrics, de Souza accurately reflects the complexities of pain and though this song may not be for everyone, it’s definitely one you still need to experience.

“How I Get Myself Killed” — In this song, de Souza writes of youth, getting older, and the heartbreak that comes along with it. Her lyrics have you wondering of their deeper meaning and I encourage you to analyze with your own interpretation. Like the rest of her songs, the melody is captivating and draws you in.

I encourage you to listen to de Souza’s discography and dive deeper into the meaning behind her lyrics.

Honorable Mentions

Of course, I had to include some honorable mentions because these next few music artists deserve to be spotlighted. First off is Japanese Breakfast, an indie pop band led by Michelle Zauner, a Korean American singer, songwriter, and author. Her popular album Jubilee is a must-listen for those looking for a more experimental, creative pop sound. 

Next up is Alexandra Savior, a Los Angeles-based singer and songwriter whose voice reminds me of Lana Del Ray and deserves just as much recognition. Her album Belladonna of Sadness, produced by Alex Turner from the Arctic Monkeys, has an almost vintage Hollywood feel that truly captivates her listeners. 

Lastly, I wanted to mention indie music artist, Cornelia Murr, and her debut album Lake Tear of the Clouds, an album filled with songs that flow into each other and have an “old soul” type of sound. Her songs touch on themes of nature, love, and femininity.

Whether you’re an indie pop listener like me or a fan of other music genres, I hope reading more about these artists will convince you to add some songs to your playlist or at least explore these artists to see if their music style appeals to you! 

Camelia Heins

UC Irvine '25

Camelia Heins is a second year Political Science and English major from Orange County, California. She enjoys writing poetry, listening to several of her Spotify playlists, collecting plants, and playing with her cat, Moira.