Lily Allen Earns the Crown as Sheezus at Hollywood Show alongside Lolawolf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Photo Credit: Scott Sheff

English pop artist Lily Allen concluded the U.S. dates of her Sheezus Tour Oct. 10 with a sensational, quality performance at the Hollywood Palladium. Electro-R&B group Lolawolf served as opening act. 

Photo Credit: Scott Sheff

At eight on the dot, fans walked into the Palladium and were welcomed by a bold backdrop-banner of Lily Allen’s name along with complementary, large baby-bottle props. New York-based trio Lolawolf opened the night and warmed up the crowd with their electronic, indie, and soulful tunes. They played tracks from their early 2014 five-song debut EP. “What Love Is” showcased the trio’s musical wonders of merging synthesized 80’s pop sounds with tints of alternative R&B and pure funk. Front-woman Zoë Kravitz belted soulful, melodic vocals, at their prime in “Too Lovely” – a highly recommended listen. The band also shared songs off their anticipated twelve-song debut LP “Calm Down,” expected to be released Oct. 21. Fans can expect more hip-hop and tribal sounds, if tracks such as “Jimmy Franco,” “AYO,” and the generous bonus “Calm Down” are any indication. These additions resulted in a groovy, beat-heavy performance complimented by the potent stage presence and noteworthy, contagious moves of Kravtiz.

Soon after Lolawolf, the text in Lily Allen’s name on her banner-backdrop illuminated in bright neon-pink, smoke rose from the stage, light-rays hovered over the room, and out came Sheezus herself. Allen opened with the slick track “Sheezus,” carrying sharp notes accompanied by back-up dancers. Allen performed her classics “Not Fair,” “LDN,” “Everyone’s At It,” “Littlest Things,” “The Fear,” “22,” and “Who’d Have Known.” Mixed into the bill were songs from Sheezus: “As Long as I Got You,” “Our Time,” “Close Your Eyes,” “URL Badman,” “Life for Me,” “Miserable Without Your Love,” and “L8 CMMR.” The audience hailed Allen during “Smile” and surely soaked in every second available to give homage to her 2006 and 2009 releases. “F**k You” was of the most active numbers of the night; Allen asked the crowd to raise their middle fingers as they sang the witty anthem dismissing every judgmental individual alive. The artist incorporated many R&B and hip-hop undertones into her set, showcasing to her fans her new musical vision. Allen even covered “The Worst” by R&B singer/songwriter Jhené Aiko in the middle of her set. Her encore bill included the explicit rap track “Or Nah” by Ty Dolla $ign. Her vocals were strong, promising, and sophisticated. Lily Allen concluded the night with one of the most praised tracks of today for its sarcastic emphasis on the corruption of gender inequality: “Hard Out Here.” 

Photo Credit: Scott Sheff

Allen executed a great show at the Hollywood Palladium starting with the strong opener, Lolawolf, and with her own performance. Even with the live antics, back-up dancers, and loud props, Allen is first and foremost an artist and she certainly delivered musically with stunning vocals and a strong, supporting band. The new, refreshing additions of R&B into her live performance are not daunting but instead they flatter the energy and spirit of Lily Allen and her music. Hand her a crown and call her Sheezus: she’s earned it.