This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Source: http://www.someecards.com/

Let’s be real; how many times a week do you dedicate at least an hour or two for yourself?

Sadly, a majority of college students do not give themselves any personal time, or “me time”, because of other priorities in their life. I have to admit, that I too have been guilty of neglecting my needs.  This is due to the fact that my list of things do is too demanding and requires a lot of attention and time. I know from experience that the side effects of neglecting your needs can be exhausting and overwhelming on your body and can sometimes even be distancing.

Consider this: do you know your tipping point to stress? Everyone has a different way of knowing when and how to respond to stress. Learn to look for signs that you are stressed and once you have reached that tipping point, breathe, and do something for yourself. Yes, it is important to excel in your academics, but it is also highly important to take a break 2-3 times a week and do something for yourself outside of school. If your mind, body, and spirit do not work right, nothing works right. Take care of you.    

Indulge and relish

What makes you happy? Whether it is retail therapy, spending an hour watching your favorite show on Netflix, or spending an evening reading a good book, indulge in something that makes you happy. Disconnect yourself from your stressors and completely focus on your happiness.

photo credit: http://idiotwindblowingeverytime.tumblr.com/post/21412468514

-Connect with friends and family

Being focused on your studies 24/7 can distance you from your roommates, friends, and even family. It is important to interact and converse with those around you (and sometimes away from you) to maintain a healthy and close relationship. Spend some time with friends or roommates outside of school and your home to get to know them better. Having fun with others can brush the stress off your shoulders and mind for the time being.

Surround yourself with peace

Go to a place where you can find peace and relaxation. Interact with nature. Anteaters, take advantage of Aldrich Park! We have a beautiful park located right in the center of campus. Spend an afternoon on a bench and take in the scenery. Instead of walking to class on ring road, why not walk across the park to get to class? It will take you away from school for a while.

Women’s health

Your body is important. Stressors can cause physical side effects so make sure you are taking care of your body by eating right, drinking plenty of water, and getting some physical activity. If you have access to a medical clinic, get a physical to see how you are doing. It’s important to keep your body functioning well. It’s also important to keep your mind healthy. Visit the Counseling Center here on campus to get resources to help you deal with emotional stress.

Quality personal time is important for your mind, body, and spirit. School can be time consuming, but giving yourself ‘me time’ can ease the stress of school and every other stressor you may have. Find and keep a balance between your social and personal life. Don’t forget

Esmeralda is a transfer student studying Psychology & Social Behavior at UC Irvine. She enjoys reading, dancing, cooking/baking, and has an interest in all things fashion/art related.
...