Kate’s Kitchen: Two No Bake Bars For Those No Time Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Everyone has those days where there is absolutely no time in the morning or in between classes to grab a bite to eat. These two energy bars are easy to make in advance and are perfect to stuff in your purse for emergency sustenance; and better yet? There is no bake time. The first one is a fig-based bar and the second is a nod to the classic granola bar.

Fig Bar Ingredients:

1 cup figs (pitted)

½ cup almonds

½ cup hazelnuts

1 tbsp chia seeds

1 tbsp flax seeds

Dark chocolate chunks or your choice of topping

Instructions:

1. In a food processor, chop almonds and hazelnuts until there are only small pieces left.

2. Rinse and take the seeds out of the figs and add them to the food processor along with the seeds. Blend until combined.

3. Spread mixture on a pan and squish into a rectangle shape (this makes it easier to cut into even squares when finished).

4. Place dark chocolate chunks, or whatever other topping you want, on top of the rectangle. Using the bottom of a measuring cup or a spatula, press down on the mixture so it is even (about a quarter to a half inch thick) and that the toppings won’t fall off.

5. Refrigerate until set and then cut into squares. Store until ready to eat.

Granola-Fruit Bar Ingredients:

½ cup almonds

½ cup hazelnuts

½ cup coconut flakes

½ cup dried cranberries

½ cup oats

¼ cup dark chocolate chunks

¼ cup coconut oil

2 tbsp honey

2 tbsp chia seeds

1 tbsp flax seeds

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

Instructions:

1. In a food processor, chop the almonds and hazelnuts. It is okay if there are larger chunks, you don’t want to grind the nuts into a meal or flour.

2. Put the nuts mixture into a large bowl and add the coconut flakes, cranberries, oats, seeds, cinnamon and salt.

3. Combine honey and coconut oil (you may need to melt this into a liquid). Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add in the dark chocolate and mix.

4. Spread this mixture into a pan and make a rectangle. Smush down hard with the back of a measuring cup or spatula to flatten and condense the mixture.

5. Refrigerate until no longer crumbly. When set, cut into rectangles and store until needed.

Photographer and writer studying art and literary journalism at UCI. I like food, fashion and photos.
Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.