This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Karlie Kloss is not only one of America’s top supermodels, but she is using her platform to make a change. Kloss had her modeling breakthrough at the age of 14 and has been modeling ever since. From New York Fashion Week to Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, Karlie has walked hundreds of shows. She is a fashion and beauty icon, and her brand is nothing less than classy. She is currently a brand ambassador for Estee Lauder, Adidas, and Swarovski, and is working on projects with Vogue and Porter Magazine. It is safe to say with a portfolio like hers, Karlie Kloss can make a difference simply by using her voice.

Recently, she has shifted her focus from modeling to helping make a difference in the world one step at a time. In 2016, Karlie was named one of TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People. But, it was more than just her modeling that got her a spot on the list. In 2014, Karlie began the Kode With Klossy scholarship to empower your women to learn how to code. The program was implemented to encourage young women to explore the fields of computer science and engineering. Every year, a summer camp for girls takes place in multiple cities around the world in locations such as Los Angeles, New York City, Portland, and Chicago. Girls ages 13-18 get the opportunity to learn about coding and create individual projects that mean something to them. Kode with Klossy encourages young women to truly explore computer science, and teaches them how it applied to the real world.

Karlie Kloss has worked hard over the past few years to get her name out there as more than just a model, but also as an entrepreneur. She is proactively empowering young women to combat societal female stereotypes and norms. I definitely look up to Karlie, and hope I can one day also make a difference like she has for young women across the world.

Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.
Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.