This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Name: Joseph Tran

Major: Undecided/Undeclared – switching into Public Health Policy

Age: 20

Hometown: Norwalk, CA 

Relationship status: Single

Campus involvements: Alpha Phi Omega

Current song on repeat: “I” by Kendrick Lamar 

TV show you are currently binge-watching: “The Walking Dead” 

What do you look for in a girl?

A pretty girl, with a great personality. If she can handle my humor and not take it to heart, then she’s the one! She should also be intelligent enough to hold a conversation that could go on for hours and still be interesting. Loves kids, loves dogs, respectful to elders, and goes to church are pretty important too! This can go on and on, but I’ll stop here, haha. 

What are your relationship deal breaker(s)?

Overdramatic girls tend to be a big deal breaker for me. I don’t like having unnecessary stress, so I wouldn’t stick around with a girl who brings that into my life. A girl who can’t take a joke is a pretty big deal breaker too because I have a playful personality and tend to make a lot of jokes, so I can’t be with someone who would take everything too seriously. 

Describe your ideal or dream date.

Picnic at the beach then taking a casual stroll on the sand as the sun is setting! You know… like what you see in the movies. 

What is the nicest thing you have ever done for a girl you were dating? 

Hmmm. It would be when I planned an exquisite candlelit dinner with a three course meal for the girl. Everything was there: rose petals on the floor, candles on the table, and a food course from each of her favorite restaurants! Even I’m surprised that I actually did that.

What about the nicest thing you have done for a friend or family member?

I would consider myself a pretty good best friend/roommate. Like for real, where else can you find someone who will cook you food and wash the dishes without charge? You’re welcome, Ehren Gofran. Haha. 

Your favorite, go-to pick up line? 

Hey, did you know friendship is like peeing in your pants? Everyone can see it, but only you feel the warmth. 

Any secret, hidden talents you have?

When I see a chicken, I can run at the speed of light… away from it.

Who is your all-time favorite celebrity crush? 

I think Ariana [Grande] takes the title of my all-time favorite celebrity because she is beyond gorgeous and her music is perfect for any moment. Did I also mention that she is completely gorgeous? 

What is guaranteed to make your heart melt no matter what? 

Puppies. No matter what mood I am in, seeing a puppy will automatically make me go into “awwwwwww” mode. 

Proudest accomplishment at UCI so far?

Being the president of my pledge class for Alpha Phi Omega! Go Alpha Beta!

Favorite memory you have made at UCI so far? 

Bonding with my friends my freshman year! I love all the people I met in my dorm and I would not be who I am today without them. Shout out to the Third Floor Boyz because even though we don’t hang out as often now, I still consider our times together one of my favorites, especially our first night together, haha. 

Most embarrassing moment so far? 

Being rejected when recruiting for my fraternity. You win some, you lose some. But when you lose, you really lose and it’s really embarrassing. Some people just walk by you and ignore you like you’re not even there. PSA: don’t ignore people who flyer you! It hurts.

What are you most passionate about?

I am really passionate about family. I love my family and I try to do whatever makes them happy and proud of me most. I know that once I get a family of my own, they will be the center of my world and I will do whatever I can to make them happy!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I see myself as a physical therapist, living with my girlfriend, and hopefully engaged and making plans to start a family!

Charlie Nguyen is a Literary Journalism major with a double minor in Gender & Sexuality Studies and Film & Media Studies at University of California, Irvine. She is a writer and co-marketing director for Her Campus, Academics and Administration editor for UCI Anthology (Yearbook), club chair for UCI Student Alumni Association and a student assistant for the Humanities Instructional Resource Center. Born and raised in Pasadena, California (shout out to "The Big Bang Theory"), she grew up with a passion for film, television, literature, music, and fashion. In her free time, you can find her marathoning shows on Netflix, crafting DIY projects and enjoying good food and good company.
...