This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Out of all the new beauty trends that are making an appearance into the new year, I would have to say the jade roller is one of the most interesting. Although jade rollers are not entirely new — they were used by members of high society in China since the 17th century — they have gained popularity in the United States fairly recently.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with what a jade roller is, it looks like a mini paint roller where one end has a big piece of jade, while the other has a smaller piece. The bigger piece is meant for larger areas of your face, such as the cheeks, forehead, and jaw, while the smaller piece can be used for under the eyes and around the mouth.

The intention of this tool is meant to be used like a massager for the face, and should be applied on the face with gentle pressure in a rolling motion. By doing so, you increase circulation in your face and that also helps stimulate the lymphatic system and helps with lymphatic drainage.

I recently received a jade roller as a gift over the holidays, and I will admit I was a skeptic. A jade tool that is meant to be massaged on my face just sounded like another beauty trend whose main purpose was to waste my money. However, after a few weeks of using it, I started to notice some differences.

Although there aren’t any stark differences, it did manage to get rid of puffiness off my face. I generally would use it in the mornings, so it was also nice to feel the coolness of the jade on my face; the cold made me more alert and awake. I also learned that putting the jade roller in the fridge before using it also gives a more intense feeling.

I can’t attest to the idea that it will clear your acne or give you better skin right away, but I do think it is helpful, especially for those that want to have a tool that help the circulation on your face and get rid of the excess fluid in the tissue. Since using it, I feel my skin is no longer as puffy as it was, and has an overall brighter and healthier look.

(Image Source)  

University of California, Irvine Literary Journalism and English graduate
Natalia Cabrera

UC Irvine '18

Hi! My name is Nat and I am a third year student at UC Irvine. I'm proud to call sunny Los Angeles my hometown.  I love being a tourist in my own city; going to museums, trying new places to eat, and exploring locations for cute photo-ops!