It’s Ok To Be Alone on Valentine’s Day, Seriously

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

“My homework is my valentine.”

The older I get and the more prevalent social media becomes, I find people, myself included, making excuses for not having someone on Valentine’s Day. But why? Why do we make excuses?

Valentine’s Day started as a day to honor St. Valentine, but has since become Hallmark’s way of getting you to buy their cards. (http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/02/bloody-sexy-drunk-origin-valentines-day/) I’m not saying that you shouldn’t share your love for the people in your life, but the emphasis on this one “holiday” has skyrocketed with social media. Before flowers and chocolate were enough, but now flash mobs and fireworks are making a day about love seem like a competition.

You would think not having to worry about spending your money on anyone February 14th would be a good thing, but I constantly hear people complaining about not having a S.O. While I understand it is annoying and even sad to see cute couples all over Instagram, you should not feel bad because you are not alone. There are hundreds of thousands of people who will be as single as you are that day. Also, those couples who post sappy IG’s will disappear from your feed the next day.

If you are healing from a breakup or heartache this February, it will be salt to your wounded heart. But, remember that one day you will have someone who values and appreciates you later down the line. Do not mope around and curse all the happy couples, take time to better appreciate yourself. #Beyourownbae so you can appreciate the person that will truly love you as you are. In the meantime, feel free to let out your sorrows in a healthy manner because you totally deserve it. No one will know that you ripped all the pictures of you and your ex, unless you tell.

Lastly, you should treat this as any other Tuesday, and if you really feel alone here are two things to keep in mind:

1. Get off social media today! It does you no good to look at happy couples.

2. If you really really need to feel validated or loved spend time with those who uplift you. Whether that’s friends or family, cherish the people who have been there for you.

It’s one day, it will pass. Chocolates will be on sale the next!

When I'm not writing articles, I enjoy working out, meditating, listening to podcasts, traveling and surrounding myself with people who bring me joy.
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.