Style

How to Recreate the Most Iconic Looks from Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

If you are anything like me, you understand how great movies can be for some much- needed fashion inspiration. From rom-coms to cult classics, these women know how to rock the trendiest looks. If you ever feel like you are in a fashion rut, try these out for a change of pace. The best part of these looks is that they never seem to go out of style and that timeless quality makes them perfect to wear even years after the release date. Here are some of the best outfits from movies and how you can wear them today.

Look 1: Cher Horowitz (Clueless)

This beloved teen movie with some of the best one-liners brought us Cher Horowitz, one of the most trend-setting characters whose plaid skirts and headbands are still very much on point now. Cher managed to look put together no matter what she was wearing and this outfit is perfect for bringing the 90’s back with a pair of knee highs and an oversized cardigan. Sorry, the shirt is not actually from Fred Segal but no one will know the difference.

“Where’s my white collarless shirt from Fred Segal? It’s my most capable looking outfit!”

Source 1

Black Cardigan  

Zulily ($13.79)                                         

Sheer White Blouse  

Amazon ($16.99)     

Argyle Mini    

Etsy ($38)    

White Knee Highs

Walmart ($4.20)          

Look 2: Regina George (Mean Girls)

While she was not known for being the sweetest person, she knew certainly dressed to impress. After all, no Queen Bee is complete without an impeccable wardrobe that is the envy of everyone in school. I mean, she even managed make a white tank with holes cut out a look people eagerly copied. But, this is the ensemble that you are more likely to wear if you want to turn heads in a good way. Feel free to throw on an initial necklace to truly pay homage to the queen.  

“On Wednesdays, we wear pink.”

Source 2.

Pink Cardigan   

Old Navy ($20)                                         

Graphic Tank    

Forever 21 ($11.92)

Black Mini

Lulus ($26)        

Look 3: Holly Golightly (Breakfast at Tiffany’s)

Audrey Hepburn is arguably a style icon in everything she wore both on and off the screen, but this movie look sets itself apart from the rest. She practically defined the LBD and paired it elegantly with a chunky pearl necklace and sunglasses, adding a level of intrigue and mystery. You can opt for the full look with the up-do and black gloves but, if you want something less formal for everyday life, here is a more versatile option.

“I’ve got to do something about the way I look!”

Source 3.

Black Collared Dress             

Maykool ($15.85)                  

Pearl Necklace                          

Forever 21 ($3.43)                  

Black Sunglasses

Lulus ($10)

Look 4: Heather Duke (Heathers)

Clueless and Mean Girls were the quintessential 90’s and 00’s teen movies, but Heathers was the dark and twisted version for the 80’s. Like everything vintage, the 80’s are seeing a resurgence and this film is the perfect place to start to incorporate that into your wardrobe. Heather Chandler may have been the OG ringleader at Westerburg High, but it was her usurper who had some nice pieces that can be are still wearable over 30 years later. Make sure to throw on your favorite scrunchie to really make a statement.

“Jealous much?”

Source 4.

Green Blazer 

Nasty Gal ($20)                     

White Collared Shirt              

Forever 21 ($11.99)               

Plaid Mini

PacSun ($26)

Look 5: Astrid Leong-Teo (Crazy Rich Asians)

This movie had no shortage of breathtaking outfits from Rachel’s blue gown to Araminta’s wedding dress, but it is the simplicity of the pink Dior dress we first see Astrid in that makes it perfect. She has such an effortless style through the film which provides plenty of inspiration for creating a glamorous business casual look. Since I think it is safe to say we are not Singaporean socialites, the price tags on these pieces will be well short of the three-figure range.

“It’s not my job to make you feel like a man. I can’t make you something that you’re not.”

Source 5.

Pink Dress 

Zalora ($39.90) 

Sunglasses                             

Lulus ($10)

Box Clutch

Forever 21 ($16.99)

Look #6: Andy Sachs (The Devil Wears Prada)

Centered around the world of high fashion, Miranda Priestly and the staff at Runway were always impeccably dressed. After a makeover and montage of all her new looks, Andy embraces a new side of herself and gives the audience plenty of outfits to fill their Pinterest board with. Her white coat with the cabby hat is still something you can see on the streets of New York today as a trench coat should be a permanent fixture in your closet. The white is a small deviation from the traditional tan, but still remains classy and chic.

“Can you please spell Gabanna?”

Source 8.

White Coat 

Nordstrom Rack ($39.97)         

Cabby Hat                                    

Windsor ($4.52)                        

Navy Heels

DSW ($39.99)

Look 7: Bonnie Parker (Bonnie and Clyde)

Bonnie may be known for her crime spree with Clyde Barrow, but she completed these acts in a killer wardrobe. This film was set in the 1930’s but the costumes do not seem dated at all and have more of a 70’s vibe to them. Featuring neck scarves and pencils skirts, the clothes Bonnie wore can easily be replicated today. It is a great way to channel your preppy yet edgy side without having to resort to robbery.

“Well I’m Miss Bonnie Parker and this here is Clyde Barrow. We rob banks.”

Source 7.

Pencil Skirt J. Crew Factory ($29.99)

Yellow Sweater                       

Abercrombie & Fitch ($21.75)  

Neck ScarfUrban Outfitter ($10)

Beret

Shein ($7)

Look 8: Elle Woods (Legally Blonde)

The final spot on this list goes to the woman who proved pink will never go out of style and is an incredibly versatile color. From court rooms to lounging on the quad, pink is clearly the way to go. Elle defied expectations but never gave up her identity and expressed that in her clothing choices. She nailed the trends of the early 00’s and managed to look cute even when she was at her lowest. Her best outfit was what she wore in her interrogation scene at the end of the movie. She ditched her basic black ensemble for her signature color and proved that she was still a very competent lawyer, while adding a little sparkle.

“Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed.”

Source 8.

Pink Dress                                 Lulus ($48)                               

Sparkly Belt                             Forever 21 ($5.52)                   

Pink Sandal

DSW ($44.99)

Surya Swaroop

UC Irvine '20

Surya is a third year intercampus visitor student at UCI majoring in Cognitive Science/Neuroscience. She enjoys knitting, experimenting with vegan baking, and yoga.
Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)