Style > Decor

How I Spruced Up My Childhood Bedroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

I have always had a keen interest in interior design. When I was a kid I would constantly rearrange my room and find new ways to redecorate. But ever since the beginning of high school, my room has remained pretty much the same. Currently, I am social distancing from the comfort of my childhood home, which means I am staying in my childhood bedroom. Since I am back home indefinitely, I decided there was no time like the present to transform my bedroom from childhood drab to a kind of adult fab.

Step 1: Clean and Declutter

The first thing that had to be done was to clean my room. It had become a cluttered mess over the years with random stuff all around. I went through everything in my room and decided whether I was going to keep it, move it to storage or donate it. Then I wiped down shelves and furniture that had collected far too much dust.

Step 2: Paint

I decided that my room needed to be painted. For several years, my walls were a horrible hot pink. It made my room feel incredibly dark and the color just did not reflect who I am now. My dad and I went to Home Depot to pick out a new color, something more neutral. I settled on a lighter shade of taupe. It took my dad and I about three days to completely finish painting, but the result was well worth the wait. 

Step 3: Rearrange Furniture

After I finished painting, it was time to move my furniture. I used Pinterest for inspiration as to what kind of layout I wanted. I decided on a layout that would open up my room so that it would feel bigger and more spacious.

Step 4: New Decor

After moving all my stuff home from my apartment, I needed more storage. I ended up purchasing a nine cube organizer shelf from Target. I could have storage bins in a few of the cubes and use the others to add small pieces of decor. It was a great purchase as it really tied my room together. The final thing I purchased was two letter boards. I have always wanted letter boards because you can write whatever you want on them and change it up whenever. I bought two so that it would fill up the wall better. 

Step 5: Repurpose and Reuse What You Already Have

I used stuff that I already owned for decor in my new and improved bedroom. I just found new places to put them. To fill any extra space I had, I went around my house to find things that were lying around. 

Transforming my childhood bedroom was the best decision I made in quarantine thus far. Not only did my room become a place that I love to be in, but it also gave me a project to work on for a few weeks. Whether you decide to slightly redecorate your room or completely transform it, have fun with it and do whatever you need to make your room feel like a reflection of you.

Taylor is a fourth year Psychological Sciences and Criminology double major. As a born and raised Northern Californian, she is passionate about the outdoors with hiking and camping being some of her favorite activities. When she is not doing that, she can also be found exploring record shops, watching Netflix, or trying to relive her soccer glory days.