How to Accessorize Like a Pro This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

With Fashion Week in New York, it’s now time to hit the shops and update our wardrobes just in time for spring. No matter what the outfit is, accessories are a must for a unique and stylish ensemble. New York’s runways featured several new trends in accessories this week. From fun florals to trendy tribal touches, there are definitely spring accessories for every girl out there. With that said, finish studying your notes for those dreaded midterms and start taking notes on the newest accessory styles for this spring!

Flower Power
What better way to welcome spring than with fun and flirty florals? From Prada beaded floral clutches to Alexander McQueen appliqué flower heels, the runway was blooming with flower prints and designs on accessories. It’s easy to incorporate floral prints into your spring wardrobe without breaking the bank on high-end designers! These flower-themed accessories can add a girly but stylish vibe to any plain looking outfit.

Pink Primrose Vegan Classic Slip-On for Women $54 –toms.com
La Fiorentina ‘Floral Design’ Scarf$58 – nordstrom.com
Sequined Floral Wallet$11 – forever21.com

Try Tribal
If flirty florals aren’t your style, try opting for a more edgy look with some tribal-themed accessories. With vibrant colors like orange, green, and blue, you are sure to make a statement with these bold accessories. Give a little black dress some personality with a tribal design clutch, or liven up a plain t-shirt with some unique bangles. And who doesn’t love a bright, embellished sandal that can dress up any spring or summer outfit? Look for beadwork and geometric designs in bright colors, and you’ll be sure to rock this tribal trend! 

Embellished Native Clutch $27 – forever21.com
River Island Mixed Tribal Bracelets $14 – asos.com
Diba Chi Keeta – Brown Multi Suede $56 – heels.com

Pretty in Pastels
No spring trends could be complete without pastel shades. Colors like salmon, pale yellow, and mint green are gorgeous and totally spring-appropriate. These subtle, but eye-catching hues are fun to mix and match during spring. Try adding a salmon colored cross body bag for a pop of color to an otherwise boring outfit. Dress up a plain blazer with some wrist candy—a watch that has a frosty mint-green dial. Or mix all these pastel shades together in a beautiful, flower-shaped cocktail ring that practically screams spring.

Mini Twist Lock Crossbody $15 – forever21.com
Stella Stainless Steel Watch $115 – fossil.com
Lanae’s Large Pastel Color Flower Ring $24 – fantasyjewelrybox.com

Fun with the Future
Futuristic-looking accessories hypnotized the runways with their metallic silver sheen. But even if you don’t want to look like you dropped in from another dimension (or another planet), following this trend is easy. Look for accessories with a metallic finish that add a subtle sparkle to your outfit. A gunmetal colored satchel is futuristic looking, yet sophisticated. For a more casual option, metallic toned shoes are all the rage, like these sparkling sneakers from Converse. Or for a quick and easy finishing touch to a basic outfit, add some silver bangles. We are the future, so why not dress like it?

Metallic Plate Satchel $98 – armaniexchange.com
Converse Women’s Chuck Taylor Patchwork Sparkle Sneaker – Silver $60 – dsw.com
Bakers Wavy Hinge Bracelet $14 – bakersshoes.com
Square Shaped Bracelet $7.80 – forever21.com

Rebecca grew up in Hercules California (Norcal), but now lives in Orange County (Socal). She is a senior psychology and social behavior major and management minor at the University of California, Irvine. Rebecca is currently the Co-president/Correspondent at UC Irvine Her Campus Branch and served as the branch's  Social Media Director during the 2010-2011 school year. She traveled around the globe this summer to Paris, Munich, Zurich, Milan, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Honolulu after studying abroad in London. It was an AMAZING experience. At UC Irvine she is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta.