Hidden Gems Around the OC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Let’s be honest, we’ve all heard of Turtle Rock and the Arboretum and while these spots are nice, there is more to explore around the area. Here are some of the best places we’ve discovered around the OC and close to Irvine.

Fountain Valley Skating Center

Whether you are already a pro who can do spins and dance moves, or you are just beginning to get into the motions of roller skating, my best friends and I have made this place our second home. We came across it once during a friend’s birthday. Ever since, we try to go at least once a month. The music is great, the people are friendly, and you totally get that 70s vibe (as well as some good laughs).

1000 Steps Beach

By far one of my favorite beaches! Located in Laguna Beach (only a 20 minute drive from the UC Irvine campus), this place is a hidden gem. Bring out your beach towels, a good sunscreen, a few of your favorite pals and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

The Lab & The Camp

They are in central Costa Mesa (only a 10 minute drive from campus) and are located in front of each other. Described as the “Anti-mall”, the space that is home to stores & shops such as Urban Outfitters, The Gypsy Den, Honey & Butter, Calipoke & Popbar, was designed to challenge the carefully constructed aesthetic of Irvine itself. It is described as a place full of creativity and for those young at heart or artistically inclined. Apart from the regular shops, they often have fun art exhibits and installations for the public as well as showcases of local artists.

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.