Here’s What You Should Bake Based on Your Favorite Comfort Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

In preparation for the inevitable movie nights and binge-watching sessions of the oncoming season, I’ve determined which recipes are perfect to pair with my favorite features. 

Harry Potter

To start, we have a classic. Is there a more magical season to watch Harry Potter and his friends battle their way through their time at Hogwarts than fall? 

Taking inspiration from typical wizard diet, I’d go for a spiced pumpkin cake. It’s perfect for snacking and sharing, especially if you bake it in a loaf pan or muffin tins. And any leftovers (if there’s any at all), make for a great breakfast treat. 

At the moment, my favorite recipe is Yossi Arefi’s Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake, also featured on Claire Saffitz’s YouTube channel

Some of my favorite add-ins are toasted walnuts or chocolate chips (dark, milk, or white). If you want to make them into cupcakes or muffins, pop them into the oven at the same temperature for 22-25 minutes, and they should be all set! 

Little Women

Whether you’re a Winona Ryder loyalist, a sucker for 1930s film, or a Greta Gerwig gal (that would be me), there’s no denying that any adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s iconic tale of the March family is meant to be rewatched during the fall and holiday season. Any fitting dessert option for this rich and heartfelt story should include fruit and/or spices. 

For fruit lovers, may I suggest a rustic apple tart? Specifically, this apple galette, is perfect if you don’t have too many special pie or baking tins lying around. Galettes can be made even simpler if you decide to use premade pastry dough (although I definitely recommend trying out this recipe for perfectly flaky pastry!)

If you’re like me and have a bit of an aversion to baked fruit (it’s a texture thing), I recommend opting for ginger snaps, like these, which have a nearly 5-star rating and over a thousand reviews. 

As personal commentary on this recipe, I typically prefer using salted butter instead of shortening, as it’s easier to work with and I’m more likely to have some, which I suspect will also be the case for most college students.

It’s also fun to roll some of the cookies in sugar before baking them to give them some extra texture and sweetness. You can even alternate between regular sugar and cinnamon sugar to mix it up! 

Finally, remember that most spiced cookies are flexible when it comes to the spice blend. There’s no need to fret if you don’t have every spice that the recipe calls for. Make use of anything you might have lying around, like leftover pumpkin pie spice or some fresh pepper, and let your taste guide you in personalizing your ginger snaps. 

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

If there’s anything that Hollywood knows, it’s that Keira Knightley was made to lead every good, romantic period piece in existence. Of her fan-favorite period films, the one I have to mention is, of course, Pride and Prejudice (2005). 

I notice that whenever I’m in the mood to watch Matthew Macfayden profess Lizzie’s “bewitch[ment],” it’s a rainy, cloudy day that I imagine English locals would find familiar. So, why not try a scone to pair with your favorite tea? Sweet, savory, tart, fruity, floral — the possibilities are endless when it comes to scones. 

My personal favorites are these lemon and blueberry scones (although I leave out the blueberries) or these copy-cat Starbuck vanilla scones to pair with some classic Earl Grey tea. 

Gilmore Girls

When we think of Stars Hollow, we think of autumn. Gilmore Girls is the only TV show on this list, but I felt that it deserved a place here since Lorelai and Rory are the poster children for eating tasty treats while watching comfort shows on the couch. 

In true Gilmore fashion, brownies — better yet, s’more brownies — would be the perfect candidate to join your binge-sesh. Mini marshmallows or marshmallow creme? Graham cracker crust or topping? Chocolate chunks for extra texture or melted chocolate layers for ultimate gooeyness? Customizing box-mix brownies is a fool-proof way to make these, but if you wanted to start from scratch, here’s a pretty good base brownie recipe to follow, and here’s one specifically on s’more brownies. 

If you’re feeling a bit ambitious, how about making some homemade Mallowmars? One of the girls’ favorite New England treats, Mallowmars are a graham cracker-style cookie with a soft mound of marshmallows all coated in chocolate. If you’re an experienced baker with access to a stand-mixer, I definitely recommend trying these* out. 

*Note*: These don’t follow the classic shape of a mallomar, so I’ve always adjusted for the cookies to be cut into 1-1.5 inch circles and baked for around 8-10 minutes until the edges start to brown. I also like to whip two egg whites in the stand-mixer until frothy before adding in the syrup, which I’ve already mixed the gelatine in after the syrup reached the ideal temperature. I find that the marshmallow recipe typically produces twice the amount you’d need for the cookies, so I like to either save the remaining marshmallow mixture and shape it into a dusted pan to eat as plain marshmallows, or I either double the cookie recipe OR halve the marshmallow recipe. 

When Harry Met Sally (2005)

Finally, we have what is arguably the most iconic fall rom-com of the past 30 years: When Harry Met Sally. If the bright red and orange leaves that don the promotional poster don’t scream fall to you, at least Harry and Sally’s spark-filled, slow-burn friends-to-something-more love story will. 

I suggest baking some macaroons in homage to the couple’s coconut and chocolate wedding cake. Not to be confused with macarons, the french almond sandwich cookie, macaROONS are soft yet chewy coconut cookies dipped in rich chocolate.  Even if you’re not big on coconut, these macaroons are bound to make you reconsider. 

If you want to stay true to the film, this light and delicate coconut sponge paired with classic chocolate ganache is also a delight. Though, maybe you should remember to keep the two separated, “because not everybody likes it ON the cake.”

Whether it’s for family and friends or simply to spread cheer, having a reason to bake is what makes fall and the holiday season so magical. I hope whatever you watch and whatever you bake, you have a warm and bright fall season with loved ones! 

So here’s yet another excuse to fill your kitchen with the scent of sugar and spice this year!

Ashley Lopresto

UC Irvine '25

Ashley is a second-year student at UCI. Whenever she is not agonizing over declaring a major, she loves to rewatch comfort shows and movies, baking, talking to her friends, and daydreaming about moving abroad.