A Great Choice for a Romance Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Let’s set the scene. It’s a Friday night, you’re lounging on the couch with your girls and you have no idea what to do. So you stand up, your brain exploding with the perfect activity in mind. “A MOVIE,” you shout through the apartment.

Okay, but which movie? “Deadpool” would be crowded with teenage boys, you heard the new “Zoolander” movie wasn’t too great (what a shame), so what’s left?

“The Choice” by Nicolas Sparks.

Your girls may question your movie choice. Is this just another chick flick? A less interesting version of “The Notebook” (because let’s be real, can any romantic movie be placed on the same pedestal as “The Notebook”?). Take our word for it: “The Choice” is a thoroughly entertaining, beautiful, and loving movie. But like any extreme romance movie, “The Choice” has its clear pros and cons.

Pros: Kissing in the rain, beach cameos, and views from under the stars are all included (this movie does not rob you of the most classic romance scenes). There is a clear plot, entertaining tension between the lead female’s lovers, and character development. The movie is also set on the beautiful shore of North Carolina. Honestly, the scenery alone is enough to make you kick back and enjoy the movie. Finally, the movie has an element of suspense (no spoilers) especially towards the end when there is the looming possibility of a death.

Cons: Benjamin Walker plays the leading man in The Choice. Ever heard of Benjamin Walker? You’re not alone. Walker is a good actor for the role, but not a fantastic fit for the role. While he is a great looking fellow, let’s just say he is no Ryan Gosling. There are moments when the romance seems overly cheesy, forced, and somewhat unnatural. (Really? You’re going to push all the dishes off the table for a hot make out session?)

Ultimately, the pros definitely outweigh the cons when it comes to The Choice. It is well worth your Friday, Saturday (or even Sunday) night. So bring your best girl friends and get ready to laugh, experience, and cry.