Four Ways to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

It’s not Mexican Independence Day and it’s definitely not “Cinco del Drinko”.

Cinco de Mayo is rapidly approaching and this year, just like every other year, people are using it as an excuse to celebrate anything but Cinco de Mayo. Since a lot of people want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo anyway, here’s a four step guide that’ll show you how to celebrate it appropriately.

Before we start, here’s some background on the history of the Mexican holiday.

Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of La Batalla de Puebla. It’s a battle that was fought between French and Mexican troops during the Franco-Mexican war (1861-1867). The holiday celebrates the Mexican army’s victory. It’s often confused for Mexican Independence Day, which it’s not. Mexican Independence Day is on September 16.

Cinco de Mayo is an extremely minor holiday in Mexico. For the most part, only people that live in Puebla celebrate the holiday (and that’s because the actual battle happened there).

So now that we’ve had a brief recap of its history and how some Mexicans celebrate it, here are a few ways you can take part in the festivities.

1. Learn about the history behind Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo became popular in the United States due to the Chicanx Movement in the 1960s. Chicanxs began to celebrate it as a way to take pride in their culture and celebrate it. Acknowledging that the U.S. has turned Cinco de Mayo into a profitable holiday that appropriates Mexican culture is the crucial first step. It’s important to know the history behind the holiday and how it’s truly celebrated in some places in Mexico, namely Puebla, and Mexicans living in the U.S.

2. Your Mexican costume is probably offensive.

Wearing serapes, sombreros, and fake mustaches is offensive. Just don’t do it. I can guarantee you that not a single Mexican dresses like that. Dressing up perpetuates false stereotypes of Mexicans and to be honest, we’re over it.  

3. Try supporting local, authentic Mexican businesses

Sorry, but this doesn’t mean Taco Bell or Chipotle. Santa Ana has a plethora of amazing taco trucks and Mexican restaurants to choose from (and the food is waaay better, trust me). Here are a few of my favorite places:

Taqueria el Zamorano

• Taqueria el Zamorano has a ton of great, authentic Mexican dishes to choose from (pictured below).

Tacos Oaxaca de Ayutla

• This truck has some of the best tacos I’ve ever had and the best part is that they’re only $1.

La Michoacana Premium

• La Michoacana sells ice cream, popsicles, and other popular Mexican treats.

4. If you’re feeling ~extra festive~, consider making a donation to organizations that provide support for Latinx immigrant communities. Here are a few to choose from:

Border Angels

Mariposas sin Fronteras

Families for Freedom

Orange County Immigrant Youth United

If you can’t donate, try volunteering with organizations that provide support for immigrants.

It’s not wrong to celebrate Cinco de Mayo but it is offensive to do it without paying proper respects to Mexicans and their culture. Now that you have all this lovely knowledge about how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo appropriately, make sure that you and your friends celebrate it responsibly.