Five Must See Places in Cancun, Mexico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Over the Summer, I had the adventure of a lifetime visiting Cancun, Mexico! My trip to this beautiful country was fabulous, so I have complied a list of my top five places that I visited.

1. Xplor Adventure Park

This Adventure Park is located in the heart of the Riveria Maya. Your adventure begins with an all-inclusive ticket to explore the entire park. Much of the park consists of natural rock formations, rivers and the Mexican jungle. There is a variety of activities you can take part in. The first one I participated in was paddling on wooden raft along the underground river! Next I jumped onto an ATV and rode savagely through the jungle path, bridges and caves! This was definitely an adrenaline promoting ride! Lastly, I zip lined above the breathtaking Caribbean horizon, zooming past all those below. The Xplor Adventure Park is definitely at the top of my recommendations list!

2. Playa Langosta

Playa Langosta is a beach unlike anything you have seen before! Located just steps from the Cacun Hotel Zone, this gorgeous beach prides itself with white pearl like sand and crystal clear turquoise water.  Although the weather in Cancun is humid and warm, the water was extremely cool and perfect for a mid afternoon dip. If swimming is not your thing, you can also take part in water sports such as parasailing, scuba diving, jet skiing, and paddle boarding. Also do not forget to get your tan on by laying out on a beach towel, soaking in those sunlight rays, but be sure to remember your sunscreen.

3. Cenote

If you love swimming and relaxation, you must visit a Cenote during your stay in Cancun. A Centote is a natural pit or sink hole that results from the collapse of a limestone bedrock that exposes ground water underneath. The fresh water in the Cenote is cool and feels like a great escape from the blistering heat of the jungle. Swimming inside of the cave felt unreal!

4. Mayan Village

If you find yourself in the middle of the state Yucatan, I suggest visiting the restaurant called Kante Maya located in a small Mayan village. This real life Mayan village has been untouched and not yet influenced by Western culture. Many people who live here only speak Mayan, which to my surprise is very different from Spanish. When visiting this amazing small village, it is important to note that you must be extremely respectful since it is a very spiritual area. I tried out the Kante Maya which served exotic and traditional Mayan cuisine. If you are a foodie like myself, I highly recommend you go here.

5. Chichen Itza

My last but definitely not least recommendation for must see places in Cancun is the Mayan pyramid ruins. The most famous of these ruins which also happens to be one the New Seven World Wonders is Chichen Itza. This beautifully preserved pyramid dates back to the 5th century and admission to the archeological park also includes views of other masterpieces such as Kukulcan Pyramid, the Meso-American Ballgame Court, and the Temple of a Thousand Warriors. Visiting this pyramid was definitely one of my favorite activities I did while in Cancun so I highly recommend it. 

There are tons of places to visit in Cancun, so I hope this list helps narrow it down for you! 

Traveling, fashion, adventure!
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.