The First Ever Asian Music Festival in North America

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Head in the Clouds. Feet on the ground. A guaranteed night to remember. 

I have never been to a musical festival before, so upon being invited by 88rising, I was ecstatic. After years of seeing pictures of my friends at Coachella or Stagecoach, I had so many preconceived notions of what a music festival was supposed to be like. Although the Head in the Clouds music and arts festival was only a one-day affair, compared to the typical 3-day weekend spectaculars, I was instantly amazed by the lineup. With such talented artists like Niki, Higher Brothers, Keith Ape, Joji, and Rich Brian, I wondered how they were able to pack so many incredible performers in so little time. On top of that, the vast majority of the artists were Asian. Upon noticing this, it came to my attention that this was historic. There has never been a music festival in North America made by an Asian music collective.

Being half Asian and half Caucasian, as a child I struggled with my identity. People would always commentate on my appearance and mannerisms, trying to fit me into box. I was repeatedly told, “You look more white, but you act more Asian,” or ,‘Huh, I did not expect you to like ______ because you seem so white.” It made me hyper aware of myself, always questioning which race I identified with more, and then questioning why I even had to make that choice. 

Mainstream media made it even more difficult for me, as there were not a lot of famous Asian actors or singers that I could relate to. How could I know if I was more Chinese or more Russian if I never saw any Asian characters on TV? Because of this, I made it my mission to explore my Asian identity in depth. At the age of seven, I took it upon myself to learn Mandarin and attend a Saturday school to learn more about my culture. It made me feel like I was making up for the part of myself I was lacking in.

If only there was a concert like this when I was younger. Seeing so many prominent Asian artists given this large of a platform would have been groundbreaking for me. Recently, the rise and push for more Asian representation in the film and media, like in the blockbuster Crazy Rich Asians, has been providing so many role models for current Asian youths. It is such a blessing to finally see people who look like me gain such popularity and fame. 88rising is truly a testament and leader to this movement.

Obviously, if you could not tell by now, I thought the concert was amazing. Being in the crowd surrounded by Asians of all races felt so comfortable. You could feel the air of community and passion created by the shared love for these artists. It was truly an experience I will never forget, and I am incredibly thankful I was able to witness it.  

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.