DIY Halloween Costume: Hershey’s Kiss!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

My favorite holiday is just around the corner! Carving pumpkins, putting up Halloween decorations, and having an excuse to eat as many Kit Kats, Twix, and Snickers as possible! But, let’s not forget the one most important tradition…being able to dress up and be anyone and anything we want to be! Just as Cady said it in Mean Girls, “in the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy,” but in Collegiette World, according to me, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up as anything she wants and no other girl will be seen wearing it. So, my blog is here to do just that, give you the idea and motivation to create your own costume, something completely unique that no other girl will wear.

I got into DIY projects last year when I made my first Halloween costume inspired by Katy Perry’s Hershey’s Kiss concert outfit.

I figured her outfit was a bit too theatrical, so I went ahead and twisted it to fit my style. Super easy, super affordable, and super unique!
Here were the 2 necessary items that I bought from Joann’s Fabrics for 
a total of $1.24!
1) 3 separate one yard pieces of silver foil fabric for the outfit.

2) 6 inches of white ribbon for the hair.

As for the shoes, any pair would do, ranging from flats to knee high boots to heels. I found 
a pair of silver booties in my closet that I had only worn once that fit perfectly with the outfit!

Putting everything together was just as easy as buying them. I took all three pieces of the fabric, wrapped and stapled each one around me to look like a sleeveless bodycon dress. The amount of staples I used may have been a bit too much, but better safe than sorry, right? Lastly, I put the finishing touches to my outfit. With a sky blue sharpie, I wrote the words “KISS ME” on my white ribbon and clipped it on the back of my hair to resemble 
the “HERSHEY’S” logo on the chocolate. I put on my silver booties and headed out the door!

Here is a final image of what my outfit looked like during the night out!

I hope my blog brings out the creative collegiette within you! Have a fun, be safe, and most importantly, go out and show everyone that you don’t need to rely on expensive store costumes to look great!

Happy Halloween!

Amandask

UC Irvine

English and Literary Journalism double major at the University of California Irvine. The four vital "F's": Fashion, Friends, Food and Family make my world turn!